What's new
What's new

Re-wiring Emerson Electric Motor and I am lost!

jurban

Plastic
I am hoping you can help me with an older motor.
The wires weren't in good shape and I began the re-wiring process but somehow I have lost my way.
I am simply wondering where I went wrong with the re-wire.

I have an Emerson Electric motor with the following information. (I believe it is from the 50's)
FRAME K660 CJ
STYLE 225 16420
Volts 110
Amps 5.3
HP 1/4 Cyc 60
Ph. 1
R.P.M. 1725
Temp Rise 40C
Patented 17 N.P 9(orS)28.

Enclosed are some of the original pictures I took so I could get it back together, but they aren't helping as the wires have crumbled quite a bit as I was putting it back together.

IMG_0356.jpgIMG_0357.jpgIMG_0358.jpgIMG_0360.jpgIMG_0363.jpg

That motor most definitely needs some new leads....or scrapped. It's just waiting to "lose it's smoke" when started. I'd take it to a motor repair shop.
Oh, and welcome to PM. Please put your location in, so we know where you're from.

Agreed... but I don't want to invest a ton of money on it either.
I reached out to Emerson Electric (Nidec) hoping they could help me out, but they had no record of that motor.

Any idea where I might find an inexpensive replacement?

Comments, not necessarily helpful:

1) Your wife is going to have a fit if she finds out you took a dusty electric motor apart on the dining room table! ;)

2) The current status of the motor is unclear. This part implies that you've already re-wired it:

"The wires weren't in good shape and I began the re-wiring process but somehow I have lost my way."

While this part implies that there are still crumbly wires in place:

" but they aren't helping as the wires have crumbled quite a bit as I was putting it back together."

3) Exactly what is the confusion at this point? Is it that some of the wires have simply broken off and you are unsure which one goes where? Do you have confidence that the ones you did replace, if any, are correctly replaces?

4) It's a single-phase AC motor with a centrifugal start/run switch. There aren't all that many designs; it should be possible to match it up with a textbook description which will help with understanding the wiring. In particular, is there a starting capacitor associated with this motor?

5) If all else fails, replacements can be found on eBay and at Flea Markets. The biggest problem is matching the frame.

John Ruth

Comments, not necessarily helpful:

The current status of the motor is unclear. This part implies that you've already re-wired it: - Prior to opening it up, it was working correctly. I am a fool for not checking my pictures before continuing the process. All the wires were replaced and I have lost my way in regards to what connects where.

4) It's a single-phase AC motor with a centrifugal start/run switch. There aren't all that many designs; it should be possible to match it up with a textbook description which will help with understanding the wiring. In particular, is there a starting capacitor associated with this motor?

There is indeed a starting capacitor.

5) If all else fails, replacements can
John Ruth

I have tried finding wiring schematics, but I can't find a match.

Here are a few new pictures. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0367.jpg
    IMG_0367.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 846
  • IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 365
Man, that motor looks like it is fried! Just looking at parts of the winding's in your pictures. The wires look very frail and badly damaged. Looks like some one has already tried to fix it.
Replace it before you electrocuted over it!!!!

Just not worth it!!!

That stinks.
It was working great before I stupidly opened it up.

So no potential recommendations on where or how to get info to even try to repair this?

Any recommendations on where I can get a VERY INEXPENSIVE replacement for this?
I have never purchased a replacement before and don't know if there is one that will even match up with the requirements of this one.

eBay is full of 1/4 HP motors at any price from about $20 to over $100.

Local hardware stores my stock motors. I know that Tractor Supply has motors, don't know prices.

Frame size on you old one is very obsolete. Most common frame sizes today is 48 and 56.

What did this motor come off of?

An old industrial coffee grinder.

Not knowing motors... if I simply purchase a 1/4 hp motor, what do I need to take into account?
(If you can't tell, I'm in no way an engineer!!)

FRAME K660 CJ
STYLE 225 16420
Volts 110
Amps 5.3
HP 1/4 Cyc 60
Ph. 1
R.P.M. 1725
Temp Rise 40C

1/4 HP, Phase 1, capable of operating on 110/120v, 1750 RPM or thereabouts

Do understand it is likely to look nothing like - or mount exactly like - the old one, and may very likely have a differing shaft size

You cannot duplicate the "features" simply because such things have not been made that way in a very long time.

Here are modern frame sizes and their dimensions

Electrical Motor Frame Dimensions

An old industrial coffee grinder.

Not knowing motors... if I simply purchase a 1/4 hp motor, what do I need to take into account?
(If you can't tell, I'm in no way an engineer!!)

FRAME K660 CJ
STYLE 225 16420
Volts 110
Amps 5.3
HP 1/4 Cyc 60
Ph. 1
R.P.M. 1725
Temp Rise 40C

With the dangerous cold solder joints on the switch contacts..

I would not fire it up..

If you are not a motor repair guy, working on a toasted, crispy wired motor, is something you should'nt mess with..

Those volt and amp things kill...

Back