What's new
What's new

What is it?

ottoparts

Plastic
I acquired a 9" SB and this came with it. We literally had to use a crow bar to dig the pieces out of the frozen dirt. Threw it together on my tailgate. Cannot find any information tags or markings other than "10-103" on the end of the ways. Anyone have an idea?

Mystery Lathe 1.jpg

It is similar to a dozen or so bench lathes made circa 1875-1930, but is different from any of the ones I know of. The top of the bed has two vees, like a Sloan and Chace, but nothing else on it is like S&C. The tailstock bed lock is unique and would readily identify the maker if pictures could be found.

The screw cutting attachment that drives the slide rest is extremely rare, whatever the maker. Maybe one in 500 or more antique bench lathes may still have that attachment intact.

Some of these lathes had the name stamped on machined flat surfaces. Look at both ends of the bed, both ends of the headstock and the top of the slide rest.

Larry

The shaft by the head stock looks like a relieving attachment to me.

Relieving attachments operate the cross feed with reciprocating action several times per revolution of the spindle. They are for making circular milling cutters from annealed tool steel. Rivett did make them for their bench lathes. But the lathe in post #1 has a screw cutting attachment, which provides continuous rotation of the longitudinal feed at a certain ratio to the spindle speed.

Here is a picture of one of my Hardinge lathes with the screw cutting attachment. Most bench lathe and watch lathe makers sold them.

Larry

40TPI single reduction.jpg

Cool- so that arrangement could also make tapered threads?

Yes, but I have never needed to do it. The top slide swivels, so you could do pipe threads. The universal joints would be out of phase a little bit, making the tool bit advance in non-uniform motion, but it may not matter for most work.

Larry

Back