What's new
What's new

Reed Prentice ... did they make lathes in the 1950's larger than 16"? (was P&W)

Salem Straub

Cast Iron
Reed Prentice ... did they make lathes in the 1950's larger than 16"? (was P&W)

A lathe came up for sale locally, I got a quick look at it but was focused elsewhere... it's a Reed Prentice made in the 50's, and I saw it's a gearhead, it's gotta be at least 20" and I think maybe 24" center height, with 10' or so between centers, and a top speed of 500 rpm or so IIRC.

I guess these did not have hard ways, so I'll be sure to check the bed carefully, especially up near the headstock... and I've read that RP had gear tooth breakage issues more than some other lathes, so I'll need to check that as thoroughly as possible. I think it can be powered up and ran where it sits.

Anything else specific to larger Reed Prentice lathes to consider? Would you say it's about like a similar LeBlond in terms of rigidity and precision (very good but not up there quite with L&S, ATW, Monarch, Axelson)?

Thanks for any info!

Last edited:
Thanks John, I gotta do a "facepalm" here... I realized that my dumb brain had confused "Pratt Whitney" with "Reed Prentice." Quite a difference there, I know... musta been the "two names" thing and not enough sleep.
Makes a lot more sense, looking at the wide range of larger RP options out there.
It's a pretty cool lathe, but I'm not as excited about it as an RP than I would be if it was a PW model C or something.

Don't know how short the time widow is for title editing but you could try with your edit post button which will be there for 24 hours (I think)

I'll delete my "off brand" post

Thanks John, I gotta do a "facepalm" here... I realized that my dumb brain had confused "Pratt Whitney" with "Reed Prentice." Quite a difference there, I know... musta been the "two names" thing and not enough sleep.
Makes a lot more sense, looking at the wide range of larger RP options out there.
It's a pretty cool lathe, but I'm not as excited about it as an RP than I would be if it was a PW model C or something.

looking at the wide range of larger RP options out there.

An R-P isn't really even a years-older Greaves equivalent in some respects, size range or no. "Cool" is not a term I'd apply.

R-P could rip Hellacious chip, but were better compared to a Niles. Both were brute-simple, built more to a budget than to beat a high standard, relied on HEAVY, not elegant.

Greaves had tried hard to be "better", didn't do too badly on technical merit.

I cannot see our John wasting his time on a Niles. At least I was PAID to waste MY time on them! An R-P wudda been mostly same stuff, different nameplate.

:)

They were making threaded nose 20 inch mid thirties. They liked in their brochures to tell you what they made stuff from and then showed you outrageous feats of toughness like huge cuts on fairly long unsupported stock

Attachments

• RP Chips.jpg
    RP Chips.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 132
Interesting pictures. I am not familiar with those tool holders/cutters. Anybody elaborate for a not even novice. Just yesterday I found a crate of old lathe tooling, faceplate dogs, center points all rusting away could be saved maybe but will not be and then thrown out for scrap. Of course no one is willing to say you can just take them as it might raise a row with someone. I saw some things in that crate that resemble possible those tool holders. I take it they were for hogging purposes like in these photos?

Despite the accidently misleading title of the thread I find this interesting history of the lathe companies mentioned. When I was younger we had a large Niles in our roll shop for paper mill roll work and was not used to my knowledge for traditional machine work other than roll finishes. Had other pre WW2 and ww2 vintage lathes too but that Niles was a large one for us. The machine shop was a different building and had other slightly smaller lathes. Sure wish I had taken pictures back then as it was an interesting job with lots of interesting machines both built and to work with.

Regards,John.

They were making threaded nose 20 inch mid thirties. They liked in their brochures to tell you what they made stuff from and then showed you outrageous feats of toughness like huge cuts on fairly long unsupported stock

Hi John, its not a Reed ad but I think I recall a P&W brochure where they showed a photo of a big tangle of steel wool as one continuous chip with some absurdly small cross section just a couple thou?

Greg

Hi John, its not a Reed ad but I think I recall a P&W brochure where they showed a photo of a big tangle of steel wool as one continuous chip with some absurdly small cross section just a couple thou?

Greg

Perhaps it was planned in advance for the worth in advertising as an accomplishment for the consistency.

That it didn't even see the smallest glitch or vibration that would have caused it to break somewhere in the "mile after mile" of continuous and consistent "chip" EVEN WHEN the tiny cross-section meant the curl had very little strength.

That "proves out" a very stable lathe, powerful or otherwise.

I went and looked more, it's a 20" x 125" Model "A" Reed Prentice, built 1952. It's just massive, looks taller than a 20"... I bet it swings 2" more than that over the ways.
I read back into some threads involving possibly running VFD and over 60hz pm increase top end speed, and whether the bearing could handle it- seems like they could, not being plain bearings, but then there's the additional consideration of the gear train. One could get the RP toolroom lathes with higher speed option, and the ads claimed it was good to run up to 1500 rpm... I can't really find anything though about whether the model A could be pushed to, say, 1000 rpm.
Would be pretty nice to be able to do. But then, I like HSS and hand grinding cutters anyway.
The bed does not look very worn anywhere, and it has a follow rest, steady rest, taper attachment, and like 5 chucks... it's got the US Navy plate on the headstock too.
Hmmm, I wonder what would be a reasonable offer...

A quick search brought up another RP of similar size and condition. It was on a government auction site.........it brought 4300 dollars. It might not have been quite as long from the description.

They howl pretty good at 500 RPM. I wouldn't push one further.

I've had a couple of them. I was given the advice to avoid them for their many shortcomings, but bought one anyways. Then bought another for parts. I took two down to nothing and assembled one decent 16x80 with a ton of work. My advise is the same as I was given- R-P's are the lowest quality heavy gearhead lathe you could get. They really cut a ton of corners. Buy something better.

They don't have as many bushings or bearings as they should and use way too many taper pins and soft materials in their construction. I say they were made to sit at the bottom of the ocean (where most of them are located). Not made for long term service.

Hmmm... well perhaps I will indeed, sit it out and wait for that Axelson or Pacemaker to pop up at the right time.
It's hard sometimes, when you like the old machines and can't escape the feeling that there are less and less of them all the time...
I do have an 18" Hendey tiebar, but it's still not quite the "last lathe" for me.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

I've a 1954 16x60 rp, which admittedly was in good shape, that i enjoy using. Holds tolerance rather well, excellent ergonomics. Has a top end of 1200 rpm. The ways were in good shape when i purchased it and i take care to keep clean per the soft ways. Given the opportunity I wouldn't hesitate to buy it yet again.

Back