What's new
What's new

Moore #3 Spindle bearing test

Froneck

Titanium
I purchased a #3 Moore Jig Borer at HGR cheap enough. I do have a #3 with .0001 DRO. I would like to check the spindle bearing when I get the one purchased before getting a DRO for it. It does have the micrometer stop for the ram but my #3 does not. Haven't needed it but for the price I paid for the machine I will get the stop that some guy is selling on ebay for $143 (shipping added) plus a lot of spare parts if the machine is not in good shape though the photos look very good. Don't look abused!
Any suggestions on checking the spindle bearings??

The quill is sealed and can only be overhauled by Moore, or so it says in their period advertisements. This is due to the special tools required and precision bearings used. There are suggestions on the "General" section of this forum, that a simple test is to run the machine at full speed for 20 minutes, the bearings should not be too hot. Basic, but a start, A factory overhaul is expensive.

From what i remember- run the quill all the way down- run spindle at max rpm for 15 minutes- if the spindle is running to hot it will not retract into the housing due to the close fit.

This might be published in Moores book, Foundations of mechanical accuracy

A factory overhaul is expensive.

A factory overhaul is no expense at all. They will not rebuild a #3 spindle for any amount of money.

They scrapped a warehouse of NOS #3's and semi truck loads of parts, a couple DECADES ago....

At least, that is what MOORE told me when I called looking for service information.

Back