Crystal Lake grinder rescue

ruralearl

Aluminum
Hello, Some years ago we were given this Crystal lake grinder:

045.jpg

044.jpg

042.jpg

041.jpg

Recently completed work on it mainly cleaning up, making new dead center pulley & bushing, using grinder to true up the spindle that the bushing runs on, & making replacements for missing table extensions:

005-2.jpg

001-3.jpg

003-2.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this attachment was/is used for? It rotates & and the body moves laterally. Serial number 712-272.

006-1.jpg

007-2.jpg

008-1.jpg

Regards, Earl

Any way to edit typo in the title?

Last edited:
Hi mfisher, Yes it has stops on both rotation & lateral movement. That makes sense, thank you for the reply. Regards, EArl

By the way, looks like you did a great job on it.

I have a similar dresser, which I am thinking to convert to a light duty radius attachment for my lathe.
Not really convert, but remove the vertical part that holds the dressing diamond, and add a bit holder for a lathe tool. Mine happens to line up nicely with center height of my lathe.

An excellent machine. I used them, (we had three), for a few years in a tight tolerance gage shop. Roundness and finish can be extremely fine when you get the bronze bearings adjusted just right. Diameter, squareness, and straightness +-.0001 all day and occasionally half of that.

What a neat yet simple grinder. I really like the drive motor shafted at both ends and turning both the spindle and the work. Plus you did a really good job on the restoration, looks great. Ed.

Hello,
mfisher, thank you

Larry V, thanks for fixing my typo

jhruska, Thank you. The taper is #4 Brown & Sharpe in both head & tailstock.

John Ruth, Thanks for the info

Rock Crusher, Thank you.

Regards, Earl

ruralearl
I see your in NE Illinois.
This grinder didn't come from Alfro Gage Co in Harvey IL by chance did it?

Hi Leg17, No, it came locally from a guy in Woodstock. Not sure where he got it, but i think he got it from another man who ran a machine shop, also in Woodstock. Incidentally, Crystal Lake is the next town down the road. Regards, Earl

Last edited:
Very nice job, that thing was in rough shape to start with.

I just picked up a slightly larger and slightly newer Crystal Lake and am in the process of cleaning and getting it back together. I have a brief but original operator's manual which says to use Velocite E oil in the spindle once it is broken in (no end play). I couldn't find a cross reference for this but I am guessing that the lightest of the current Velocite oils might be appropriate, #2. What did you use in yours?

My machine has an old added-on variable speed DC drive for the workhead and a strange modification to the cross feed. Also came with a drowned mouse in the absolutely disgusting coolant tank. Everything seems to be in decent shape though, I'm excited to get it running.

Looks great!
The belt driven Bronze wheel spindle reduces the possibility of chatter sometimes found in direct drive roller bearing arrangements.
And when you get the hang of lapping centers, the belt driven work head does the rest.
You will be pleased with roundness and finish.
Every set-up may require adjusting for squareness and straightness.
Fiddle with the tailstock, possibly shimming with paper or something, until the sidewheel pattern is crosshatched. That will be square.
Then fiddle with the taper to get whatever degree of straightness is required, (or taper for that matter.)

To lap centers, tighten abrasive center lap in lathe headstock chuck.
Adjust workpiece to fit slightly loose between center lap and tailstock center.
Turn on headstock while holding workpiece from turning and then tenderly apply pressure by advancing the tailstock center.
Careful. it takes a little practice to get the 'feel' of it.
You may sacrifice some lap while getting the hang of it.
Laps can be re-dressed with a diamond.

At least, that's how I was taught and it worked perfectly.

Back