What's new
What's new

For Sale: Wade #5 Second Op lathe

boaterri

Cast Iron
I am moving soon so I need to thin the machine inventory. For sale is a Wade #5 Second Operation Lathe, 12-#4w collets (11 in picture, 1 in headstock), X/Z table with dovetail slot for tooling, X only table, Wade tool post with 2 tool holders and some assorted hardware for mounting tables. Machine is on a steel cabinet with splash pan, 3 phase motor, 3 step pulley.

All this lathe needs is a new flat belt and some light cleaning of old lube on the lead screws and ways of the X/Z and X only table.

Asking $375.00 located in northern New Jersey.

Rick

Attachments

• Wade Lathe 008.JPG
    Wade Lathe 008.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 818
  • Wade Lathe 022.JPG
    Wade Lathe 022.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 583
  • Wade Lathe 012.JPG
    Wade Lathe 012.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 551
  • Wade Lathe 018.JPG
    Wade Lathe 018.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 510
  • Wade Lathe 020.JPG
    Wade Lathe 020.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
How long could it set before having to be moved? The reason I ask is that a friend of mine goes to NJ once in a while and could pick it up.
Todd

Todd:

We will be moving household items and my shop into a storage unit soon and transferring to a cargo container the end of September/early October for shipping.

Rick

Jim:

A very short ride from Peekskill, you would be home before your wife missed you. I am in Montvale, Nj, (the intersection of the Garden State Parkway and the NY/NJ state line)

is this lathe still available?

i have a similar machine im setting up
if you have this machine still im very interested
im located in montreal and can arrange shipping
thanks for your time

cif

Man I'd love to have that compound slide.. the lever cross-slide is nice but hard to do regular turning that way. I bought a basketcase compound side from ebay that I'm still scraping in, its going to be a while yet- the screws are substantially worn too.

Recently I've been doing a few runs of button caps and toggle switch caps for old stereos on the Wade. Good clean fun if you can keep coolant off the collet nose lol

Unless my phone is hosed, it was posted for sale in 2014

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Man I'd love to have that compound slide.. the lever cross-slide is nice but hard to do regular turning that way. I bought a basketcase compound side from ebay that I'm still scraping in, its going to be a while yet- the screws are substantially worn too.

Recently I've been doing a few runs of button caps and toggle switch caps for old stereos on the Wade. Good clean fun if you can keep coolant off the collet nose lol

This particular one is probably long-gone, four years in, but yazz. Having finally cleared the area of the dormant @las LSO, one of these basic "second op" critters would be just the ticket for very rapid shaping of one-off or fewsies knobs and such with nought but a hand graver on tee rest.

I run a Wade 7 with turret, so similar but slightly larger & longer. Lacking a compound, its not as useful as it sometimes would be- for things too small for the ATW but still needing a compound. That said, jobs come in where the Wade pays its way and then some.

As shown, the lathe is in "decorative" posture with the top and front belt guards on. The "in use" posture generally involves taking them off so the spindle can be moved, belt changed to other steps etc. The back cover is helpful to leave in place, with an oil resistant clay packed in a couple places so coolant doesn't sneak along the castings and drip down into the base. I guess for a long-running setup or when the safety folks are in the shop the front and top covers would be replaced...

I run a Wade 7 with turret, so similar but slightly larger & longer. Lacking a compound, its not as useful as it sometimes would be- for things too small for the ATW but still needing a compound. That said, jobs come in where the Wade pays its way and then some.

As shown, the lathe is in "decorative" posture with the top and front belt guards on. The "in use" posture generally involves taking them off so the spindle can be moved, belt changed to other steps etc. The back cover is helpful to leave in place, with an oil resistant clay packed in a couple places so coolant doesn't sneak along the castings and drip down into the base. I guess for a long-running setup or when the safety folks are in the shop the front and top covers would be replaced...

Got curious, went and checked eBay. As per memory, most Hardinge/Wade/Elgin/Ames & sputnik accessories are rather pricey. This one - @ $375, and absent the space-eater cabinet, wudda been a veritable Unicorn had I but been paying attention at the time. Compound or similar top-slide goods alone can cost nearly twice that.

Surprised you haven't just DIY-adapted or outright fabbed "something" for your one?

IMNSHO, it isn't that an ATW, 10EE, or 360-HBX cannot do fine work. The "feel" is just too heavy, rotating mass far too high, hence tip-toeing on eggs SLOW as to throughput.

Example might be goods resembling a hyponeedle dermic, er hypodeemic nerdle, er ....screw it .. basketball inflator tube.

No reason to ACTUALLY turn and bore these from scratch on the lathe, mass-produced as they are, but just thinking about what it would take to do so if one had to do is educational, large lathe vs small.

I have clapped out Wade precision #something (#4?) with a ball bearing headstock, crossslide, tailstock & some collets that is gently rusting in my basement if anybody wants it. I haven't really thought about the thing at all after finding a beautiful Stark #4,

I have clapped out Wade precision #something (#4?) with a ball bearing headstock, crossslide, tailstock & some collets that is gently rusting in my basement if anybody wants it. I haven't really thought about the thing at all after finding a beautiful Stark #4,

i would be interested if your not real far from me. Where you located?

Back