What's new
What's new

sanford surface grinder not sure not sure what model can't find anything like it.

Red1fire

Aluminum
Just bought a Sanford surface grinder it says SG 46 and then the numbers 974. Cant find any info online. Can anyone tell me what this is, maybe some documents. I would like to bring it as close to original as possible.

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

It was made in 1946. Larry has already posted a link to the history of the Sanford grinders I wrote. It appears to be in original condition, it has the original spindle with the oiler, many were upgraded over the years. If you have any questions, ask away.

Dennis

I contacted sopko yesterday about getting a spindle adapter balancer. I'm not sure what part number I need. Could use some help there. Found a nos 1/6 hp 3450 rpm motor thats made in USA. The motor bracket that slides, tightens into place and won't allow the x axis to move am I to leave the bracket slightly loose???

Red

There really isn't any spindle adapter. Just an inner flange and a 1/2"-13 - LH threaded outer flange to tighten against the wheel. The wheel fits directly on the 1/2" shaft. No need to balance 4" wheels. The motor bracket is a precision part and integral to the precision of the vertical movement. I have not seen any that bind, I'm not sure how that would happen unless the spindle carrier were ground down to be less then the width of the vertical ways.

Mike the width of the vertical ways, and mike the step dimension of the spindle carrier. The carrier should be a tenth or 2 larger, that allows it to slide. Post some more pictures of the motor bracket, spindle carrier if you have the machine that far apart. The spindle housing itself has 4 cap screws that attach the housing to the carrier, and 4 set screws. NEVER touch the set screws, that controls the tilt of the spindle and are factory adjusted.

Dennis

Slotted end of spindle nose looks pretty beat up..What does that attach? Is the ½ wheel mount on a spindle nose taper and that slotted part solid to the ½” wheel mount?

If so a 1 ¼” mount might be made so a good way to use up 1 ¼ mount wheels..Yes they would still be marked perhaps 3400 or so.

Looks like $6100 in the 90s so must be a highly respected grinder.

Don't see a long travel stop ... otherwise a nice grinder.

Correction.. *Z axis is binding* Paid 600.00 for it on Craigslist 700.00 so far with the new Bodine motor will probably have 1000.00 into it by the time the wiring is done and the finish has been restored. It had a cheap chinese VSD motor that wasn't regulating correctly. I will check it tomorrow, the vertical ways have plush hand scrapings. ya I thought the motor bracket didn't look right. The spindle is true to the bed no scaling whatsoever. Y axis is a little sloppy not sure if its the lead screw nut or lead screw. Any suggestions on replacement screws.

s-l1600-10.jpg

Down feed binding can be a wore out lead screw nut...

QT:[the vertical ways have plush hand scrapings.] That sounds good but may have been scraped or adjusted too tight...may have dropped and knocked tight.
Guess I would check the Nut then blue up the travel to see if tight in one area.

Dust shields another place for bind and the down handle shaft bushing or the down screw handle lock on that shaft...

Update, the spindle drive pulley had loosened and pushed into the back of the motor mounting. adjusted the flat pulley and it snugged up to the ways w/no binding, Easy fix. The motor mount is a bit butchered and chopped down. may fill the excess holes w/solder looks like the top of the mount was trimmed off for some reason.

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 109
Slotted end of spindle nose looks pretty beat up..What does that attach? Is the ½ wheel mount on a spindle nose taper and that slotted part solid to the ½” wheel mount?

If so a 1 ¼” mount might be made so a good way to use up 1 ¼ mount wheels..Yes they would still be marked perhaps 3400 or so..

The slot is just to hold the shaft while you loosen the outer flange (left handed). There is no taper, the wheel just slides on the 1/2" shaft. You could make an adapter to 1 1/4" but the machine does not have enough power for anything bigger than a 4" wheel. All original wheels were 3/8" wide, also, not 1/2". Although if you are doing the usual step-over it shouldn't matter, 1/2" is easier to find.

Dennis

Sanford Info.

Send an email address and I will forward more. File sizes exceed forum limits.

Restorer

Attachments

• Schematic.pdf
    3.7 KB · Views: 111

Back