What's new
What's new

Searching for advice on this Clausing beaterlathe

MFleet

Plastic
Hi All,

I picked this lathe up in a trade package. My first experience with a manual lathe of this size. I do have an occasional use for it and I'm trying to decide if it worth repairing or moving it along as parts, etc.
The tag reads "model 5310" (bench model) and it is possible that the stand and turret was an add-on.

The carriage feels functional and not terribly sloppy. The motor tensioner assembly is broken/missing. I'm not sure of the weight I need for a spring but should be an easy fix. It appears that there was a clutch explosion and it was bypassed. The gears seem to be ok for what I could quickly check by hand and sight. The 5C collet closer has no tension on it. The turret is functional and the tool holder bores measure overbored to ~1.180.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
IMG_20171202_163633225.jpg IMG_20171202_163416354.jpg IMG_20171202_163732960.jpg IMG_20171202_163448920.jpg IMG_20171202_163513407.jpg

What are you planning to make with a lathe?
If you plan on doing a lot or mostly shaft work then I would be looking to pawn that thing off to get a conventional style lathe with functioning steady and tail stock.

If you make a lot of bushings or parts were a tail stock is not needed and this lathe isn't clapped out then she may be just what you need.
Either way, I wouldn't put much money into this old lathe, not when you could use same money to get a more practical lathe that is chip ready.

What are you planning to make with a lathe?
If you plan on doing a lot or mostly shaft work then I would be looking to pawn that thing off to get a conventional style lathe with functioning steady and tail stock.

If you make a lot of bushings or parts were a tail stock is not needed and this lathe isn't clapped out then she may be just what you need.
Either way, I wouldn't put much money into this old lathe, not when you could use same money to get a more practical lathe that is chip ready.

The largest and toughest items that I have planned in the coming months is max. 2" dia., 0-1 steel, ~6-8" long. Not sure if I will need to thread those yet or just cut a retainer groove. The remainder would be a variety of brass and aluminum cuts including threading. Everything I would to use it for is basic maintenance parts and one off jigs.

I did some further investigation tonight and figured out how to set the collet closer. That portion seems to work fine now. I will check out the electrical(single phase) tomorrow and find out if it will spin itself. I've walked through all of the gears by hand including the threading gears and half nut. Need to fix the tensioner as well. If all looks ok, I have some alum. stock that fits the collet to do some very basic test & measure.

It does seems irrational to spend the money on a tailstock for this thing. Is it possible to lock down the turret with a live center mounted in it? Maybe there is a workaround for the occasional need for a tailstock or am I way off?

Interestingly the collet closer setup has been sourced from a hardinge machine.
Hmmm, maybe that would explain the shop made supporting hinge and handle. Good eye there.

The capstan attachment was once a sought after accessory and very costly.Any capstan lathe can have a centre put in one of the turret holes.Obviously you will need to lock the slide.It may not be powerful enough for what you want,but its a neat little package.On my small lathe,I just let the motor weight tension the belts.

Theres a guy on here within the last week offering a south bend tailstock free cant remember the C/Height but it could be addapted within reason.Search the forum and see if anyone has claimed it

i think if you were to offer the machine for sale,you would be surprised at the interest.Even with CNC,small,hobby sized capstan lathes are in considerable demand.If you were a bit closer,I would buy that machine.Without the capstan,it is a beater,with it,its valuable.

Thanks for the responses! I did more checking on this and found a few helpful threads regarding inspection and wear. "In Praise of Klunkers" was a good read as well.

I started with the gibs very tight at 24 in. from the spindle. The indicator base was near center on the slide.
.010 of wear at 12in.
.020 wear from 9 in. to spindle

When I first looked at the lathe, I didn't have the hex tools to loosen the lock and the "bed turret", as Clausing calls it, to move it back. As you can suspect, the major wear was exactly between the spindle and where the bed turret was locked down. The lock screw was also bottomed out which is why I didn't feel any slop between the saddle and ways. I've taken notice on how the top of the V narrows towards the spindle as well.

I'm leaning towards end of life for this once awesome lathe. If I part it out, I should still end up satisfied with the trade lot. Good learning experience and it will help some other Clausings breathe again too. Is there anything else I should consider before I put it out to pasture?
IMG_20171205_203208322.jpg

Back