What's new
What's new

Nice Old Tool Chest

maynah

Stainless
I just missed this on CL this morning. Too bad. From an old Maine boat builder.

Attachments

• tool chest 2.jpg
    tool chest 2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 784
  • tool chest.jpg
    tool chest.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 566
Maynah,

Oh, I'll bet you're kicking yourself over missing this one! But, thank you for posting the photos, as they may inspire somebody to make a copy of the chest. It certainly is attractive.

The drawer pulls appear to be brass/bronze boat locker hardware.

I have not tried scaling the photos, but this one looks lower&wider than most, yet none the less attractive. I'm thinking the top view might approximate a "golden rectangle".

Did the craigslist ad give dimensions?

John Ruth

Yeah John, I was kicking myself. The ad was placed late at night. I saw it about 6 AM the next morning. I didn't want to call that early so I sent an email saying I would call in a couple of hours. So I called, and the seller said a guy was coming over at 11AM to look at it, and if he didn't want it I could have it. He was only asking $100 for it, and I told him, "it won't be there after 11AM. Whoever sees it first will buy it."
I don't know what the dimensions are. If you are really curious PM me and I'll send you the sellers number. He was a nice guy, we talked for a while. He said the chest was made by the grandfather of the guy that makes the wood planes, Nielsen. It is a handsome chest.

Maynah,

"He said the chest was made by the grandfather of the guy that makes the wood planes, Nielsen. It is a handsome chest." WOW! I'll bet Thomas Lie-Nielsen would have paid the seller a lot more than a c-note for that chest!!! I do hope he offered it to Lie-Nielsen before Craigslisting it.

My view is that chest is remarkable for its proportions and details. One could scale the proportions of the chest from the photos you posted. The flush rings are a standard boat/yacht hardware item which could help determine original dimensions. And, of course, it goes without saying that anyone making a tool chest would dimension his/her version to fit his/her tools.

I do believe that versions of this chest could be made and sold at a profit. Look at Gerstner; customers WILL pay for quality and beauty.

John Ruth

Back