What's new
What's new

Seneca Falls Star Lathe and Parts

KGB127

Plastic
Hey there folks...
I had so much fun posting about my CA Mann lathe and now I'm back to post about my Seneca Falls "Star". This lathe came with very few parts, but, seems to be in decent condition. It is currently up for sale on Ebay however I didn't list the fact that I have what was used for the countershaft and/or the treadle. I didn't list it because I'm not sure what is original and what is make-shift from the previous owners. My biggest question is then...can anyone tell me what IS original and what is not. I'm posting pictures of everything I have but again...mostly interested in the countershaft/treadle parts.
Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Kathy
?IMG_5255 (480x640).jpgIMG_5253 (640x480).jpg

IMG_5287 (480x640).jpgIMG_5288 (480x640).jpgIMG_5289 (640x480).jpgIMG_5291 (640x480).jpgIMG_5292 (480x640).jpg
These are the basic pictures I have. I'm curious why the ways in front of the headstock appear to be cut out(?) and what the 2 bolts/screws on the right side of headstock are for...?

Catalogs I have show different style with clutches. My guess not factory original?
I dont see a real clear view of your hangars.

I would be inclined to hold onto what came with the machine. Atleast for a while.

Some makers built the counter shafts and other farm that out and styles changed.
It can be hard to know for sure.

Attachments

• StarCounterShaft.JPG
    StarCounterShaft.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 374
My S/F Star lathe utilizes a countershaft similar to the one pictured by Peter, using a integral clutch in both (foreward and reverse) drive pulleys. Your setup uses a fast and loose arrangement and I would agree with Peter that it is not original Senea Falls. All S/F countershafts I have seen, both in person and in catalogs are of the clutch type. That being said, yours would certainly work with your lathe or any similar machine. If you sell everything together just state your uncertainty about its originality. Looking at the pics further, I think you've got most of two separate countershaft setups there. You may want to so some more research to ID them.

Tom B.

Riderusty, Thanks for the advice...I can see more research is in order. I figured the extra parts weren't original even though my lathe seems to be (maybe) a little older than others I've seen.
Kathy

Peter,
Thank you for your response and thank you for the picture. I will certainly hold onto what I have...being the packrat that I am.
Kathy

Kathy,
These lathes have a number of patent dates cast into the front of the bed which can be seen in your pictures. Some changes were made to the castings in the very early 1900's and yours would appear to be an earlier version, perhaps prior to 1903 based on the dates on my machine and judging from the shape of the tail stock and location of the threading chart.

Tom B.

There are several catalogs describing the various Seneca Falls lathes available on the "Old Woodworking Machines site.

Seneca Falls Manufacturing Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

One thing I noticed is that the shaft bearings on your countershaft assembly are far different than any others I've seen. Most (including the one I have) have very ornate. The bearings and standards on mine are original, while the shaft and drive pulley have been changed to fit my application. The ones on my lathe allow the bearings to swivel within the mounting system. This allows the standards to be slightly misaligned while still allowing the bearings & shaft to be parallel to the headstock

Attachments

• DCP00844.jpg
    DCP00844.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 589
  • DCP00842.jpg
    DCP00842.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 570
Cretedog's lathe is very similar to my Dads lathe (his is Blue). I think he has an original manual. I will take some photos the next time I am in his shop and post them.

Thank you Projectnut.
Funny you should mention Vintagemachinery...I was just looking at all their manuals/pictures(again) today. I agree that SF bearings are more ornate. So far, I think SF has one of the "prettiest" lathes.
Kathy

A very original machine. The tailstock ways cut out by the headstock, somebody wanted
to turn an item that was just a *little* bit too large. You also have a graduated
dial on the crossfeed. Post up the serial number which is stamped between the
two ways at the far right, front of the bed.

Here's mine for comparison sake:

jrr_sn_seneca.jpg

SF_gear21.JPG

SF_gear07.jpg

Seneca1.jpg

Seneca2.jpg

Seneca3.jpg

Seneca4.jpg

Also note, that your machine like mine, has no compound slide. In my
case the thread form for the crossfeed screw is double square thread.

IMG_5257 (640x480).jpg
Hey Jim...our lathes are very close in age, aren't they? Mine is #2501. Thankfully yours didn't get slopped up by bluepaint!

Back