What's new
What's new

Shaper Hand

Massive gear.............from what it appears, he is strictly cutting by witness lines. Certainly easier on teeth that size than more run of the mill size teeth. I have to wonder if there is a finishing operation, seems likely

Reminds me of a story an old machinist told me many years ago.. He worked for Solvay Process and they had an American steam derrick with a broken tooth on one of the gears.. He said they built the gear up with weld in the spot of the tooth and re cut the tooth using a shaper. They made a gauge to be sure the tooth was the proper form when finished... I loved to talk to that old man.. He died years ago at age 94.. Ramsay 1:)

Massive gear.............from what it appears, he is strictly cutting by witness lines. Certainly easier on teeth that size than more run of the mill size teeth. I have to wonder if there is a finishing operation, seems likely
Hey, that type of operation is how shapers got their name isn't it?

I've tried cutting things to a witness line on my shaper and my mill too and it's tedious and requires more coordination than I sometimes have if trying to move two handles/wheels at a time! :)

Irby

This is a capable shaper operator.
A good job for a CNC shaper...I am not sure if those exist, though for many years I was toying with the idea of converting my Elliott to one. After all it is really just controlling two axis.

Sometimes I make a cad drawing and find long/lat points from a datum point, then cut to the points. This leaves a saw tooth line but if it is filed with a die filer to just where the lowest points start to disappear it gets very close to a cloned contour surface. I've used the same process in the lathe too.
Very much of that and one starts thinking using a CNC would be far easier, and I've often wondered if a shaper was ever converted to a CNC too.

I have welded up missing gear teeth, and re-cut them with hacksaw and file to a sheet-metal gage made from good teeth on the other side of the gear. I remember some about 6 DP on the bull gear of a wrecker winch, some about 1 or 2 DP on swing gear on a crane.

A good job for a CNC shaper...I am not sure if those exist

Pretty sure I have bumped into several offerings in Indian (subcontinent not wild west) catalogs.

Also, Rockford was making production shapers in the 50's - 60's with quite capable and advanced hydraulic motion control for things like the interrupted threads on breech plugs, cannon barrels, and such. Little doubt in my mind they could, if not did, make them for gear teeth.

smt

Looks like they have done that type of operation more than once. They put a large handwheel on the table vs a crank, that would make things like this a little easier to try. I might have to keep my eye open for a good candidate for a large wheel to have as an option on mine. Also noticed it looks like Chinese characters on the badge on the machine.

Back