What's new
What's new

Sheldon -0- horizontal / vertical mill

Red1fire

Aluminum
Just picked up a Sheldon -0- horizontal mill with a Rusnok A-9033 Vertical Attachment. I noticed that some machines have a table feed gear box while mine has a step pulley. There appears to be a cast mounting for a would be gear box but there is only a carrier bearing. Anyone have a gearbox. Figure I'll find one whilst riding a unicorn over a rainbow.

Shawn

s-l1600-7.jpg

Just picked up a Sheldon -0- horizontal mill with a Rusnok A-9033 Vertical Attachment. I noticed that some machines have a table feed gear box while mine has a step pulley. There appears to be a cast mounting for a would be gear box but there is only a carrier bearing. Anyone have a gearbox. Figure I'll find one whilst riding a unicorn over a rainbow.

Shawn

View attachment 203704

Burke #4 - nowhere near as nice a mill - has a similar rig.

Gave some thought to adapting a small lathe QCB. Easier solution - not yet actioned - seems to be a Bison hollow-shaft right-angle Dee Cee gearmotor & KB-Penta controller.

Not as if I needed to cut precise threads or spirals, after all.

Those parts, at least, I do have. The missing "round tuit"? Not yet even in sight!

dc right angle is a good thought.

Easy until you remember you'll still need some form of clutch or dog to dis-engage the little Mike Foxtrot. Trying to reverse-crank a worm-driven right-angle Bison or Bodine of even only 1/15 HP, permanent-magnet motor, usually, is a non-starter.

NOS Bison was under $80, mounts, split shaft bushing, fasteners and all.
And new it turned out to be.

The KB-Penta DC Drive actually cost more, though not by much, small HP. The nice NEMA 4+ "washdown" rated gasketed die-cast case cost, rather.

OTOH a Variac and rectifier would work, too. I'm just a tad anal about "load regulation" on my Dinosaur Current projects. And "washdown" ratings..

:)

Picked up this Baldor 1/15hp D/C vfd forward/reverse set up. Should do the trick. The lovejoy will need to go and will likely need to turn something to adapt to the existing shaft. Think the ability to instantly change feed rates will be worth the effort. Moving belts around to change feed rates, Blehhh.

s-l1600.jpg

Hello Shawn, An old post but I have a similiar situation. On my Sheldon No.0 I have the gearbox but no table screw or gear for the lead screw to connect to. The mill was used in production and the PO rigged the table to move back and forth some other way. Looking for some dimensions or information of what I might be missing to machine a new table screw.

Back