What's new
What's new

Sheldon Chicago lathe info

lvracing2

Plastic
Hello,

Where can I find information on an old Sheldon Chicago lathe?

I don't have the model number, just the serial number which is S9928.

Any info much appreciated.

Thanks,
Al

Oh wow nice little 11 inch. It has the older style gearbox for threading & feeds. I would guess WWII vintage. I am not sure when they changed to the two lever style.

The place to get Sheldon info is join the Yahoo Sheldon group. I have two Sheldons and have found that those guys over there are very helpful. John Knox who was an Sheldon employee for 30 some years is a wealth of information and is willing to help out. Plus he sells leather belts from his web site Custom Leather Drive Belts-Single-ply (11/64''), up to 4'' wide

The format of ether Yahoo group keeps me from using it regularly, but the information contained there is solid.

Oh wow nice little 11 inch. It has the older style gearbox for threading & feeds. I would guess WWII vintage. I am not sure when they changed to the two lever style.

The place to get Sheldon info is join the Yahoo Sheldon group. I have two Sheldons and have found that those guys over there are very helpful. John Knox who was an Sheldon employee for 30 some years is a wealth of information and is willing to help out. Plus he sells leather belts from his web site Custom Leather Drive Belts-Single-ply (11/64''), up to 4'' wide

The format of ether Yahoo group keeps me from using it regularly, but the information contained there is solid.

I appreciate the info Warren. From what I found so far, the single tumbler gearbox was manufactured until 1947.

Sheldon 1940s Lathes

Hi I'm new to the forum and new to forums in general so please excuse my ignorance as I learn how to navigate. I own a Sheldon 13" swing Sheldon lathe S/N TMU 19327-T and was lucky enough to get the owners manual my problem in after putting new spindle belts on the manual says to oil the bearings and I know that there is an oil hole for the Double grove sheave but it doesn't tell me how much oil to put in it. Don't want to make a mess or run it to dry. Thanks

Hi I'm new to the forum and new to forums in general so please excuse my ignorance as I learn how to navigate. I own a Sheldon 13" swing Sheldon lathe S/N TMU 19327-T and was lucky enough to get the owners manual my problem in after putting new spindle belts on the manual says to oil the bearings and I know that there is an oil hole for the Double grove sheave but it doesn't tell me how much oil to put in it. Don't want to make a mess or run it to dry. Thanks

Just a few drops of oil is all it needs. As long as the spindle turns freely when the bull gear is dis-engaged, you're good.

Ken

Just a few drops of oil is all it needs. As long as the spindle turns freely when the bull gear is dis-engaged, you're good.

Ken

Ken LTNS...how is everything? I am curious...what lathe company did your dad own? Summit? If you haven't already written a history, you should in a new thread.

Last edited:
Ken LYNS...how is everything? I am curious...what lathe company did your dad own? Summit? If you haven't already written a history, you should in a new thread.

Richard, my dad was a machine tool mechanic/machinist most of his life, fixing up all of the busted up machinery people managed to tear up back in his earlier days. John Oder knew him back in the day at Drilco in Houston, now long gone. Drilco had many Lehman hollow spindle lathes in the shop which later, they bought the remains of Lehman out of Saint Louis MO back in the 1970's. Moved it all to Houston and made and sold repair parts for Lehman lathes until around 1978. Smith moved the operation to California where they started building lathes again. As far as I know, they are still building them, the hollow spindle version only. This is where I got my early education from, being around Drilco and the machine tool repairing/rebuilding they did back then. My dad in his later years, before leaving and starting his own machine shop, was the manager over the entire "Manufacturing Services" they called it. He used to have something around 140 people that worked under him, including about 15 millrights that did scraping and fitting, and did it very well, working for him then. Some of these guys were trained by your dad back then, too. Enough said for now. Ken

Back