What's new
What's new

Save a vintage South Bend 13

SteveM

Diamond
Not mine, but on CT CL:

13" South Bend Lathe

00k0k_jZijvmrQcw8_600x450.jpg

13" South Bend Lathe - $500 (Central CT)
PRICE REDUCED! Must sell by 3/27 or it will be parted out and the rest scrapped. Make an offer!
For sale is a restored 1921 South Bend Model 21C lathe. 13" Swing x 72" between centers.
Lathe came from an old overhead belted shop, converted with custom motor carriage, 220v, 3ph, 2hp. 4 position flat belt drive. 3 Jaw chuck included, lantern type tool post included. Negotiable.

Steve

Wow, again goes to show how much location has to do with machine prices. That would have lasted about ten seconds on CL around here, even at double the price.

Just about identical to my first lathe - except longer - also in CT. I bought my 13" Series O from a junk shop in Hartford for $100 in 1966. I still use the plain bearing Jacobs chuck that came with it. I expect the lathe is still making parts in some CT basement.:D

This was the same year I bought the new O-52 Gertsner tool chest - for $72.00

Last edited:
Ya I could really use a 2nd machine especially with work picking up. Currently I'm running an "unmentionable" US made bench lathe. We'll see what he says, thankfully I can be anywhere in CT in less then 2 hours.

In any case as long as it goes to a good home. I hate to see good looking old iron like that get pieced out or go to the dreaded scrap yard.

I can just imagine the hords of people here that would show up and bid the price of that right up to 2000.00 or so, in my neck of the woods. Personally I would rather give it away then see it sold in pieces and then scraped...........but alas................

Tim

Normally, it would go for more than that here too, but he's in a hurry and $500 this week is better than "I would have given you $1,000" next week.

If I had the room, I'd probably grab it, but most of my work is small stuff.

Steve

Back