What's new
What's new

Shop made Ball-Pein hammers

Grigg

Hot Rolled
In this earlier thread was a very nice little ball-pein hammer that I presume was hand made, perhaps as part of some old feller's apprentice training.
..American Precision Machine Museum in VT last week...

View attachment 181297

That reminded me of a little hammer I picked up at a flea market not long ago. It looks handmade and nice enough I paid a little more than I ordinarily would've.

I'll attach several pictures as I found it and some of the new handle I made.

Note that like the one in the museum in VT there is a tiny center mark on each side of the head and also the scribe lines around each face to help define the octagonal reductions. My hammer also has center marks in each face, another sign to me it's not a production made hammer.

Any more little hand made ball-pein (ball-peen) hammers to share?

Anyone found plans in an old book or magazine for making your own hammer? I have a lot of old machinist type books but and will look for hammer plans when I get time.
It looks like a nice little project which could use several different machines and setups and plenty of hand work; well suited for a beginning machinist. I work at a school and might try this with the students one day, either copy this one or if found follow instructions in an old book.

Thanks,
Grigg

IMG_1634.jpgIMG_1635.jpgIMG_1636.jpgIMG_1638.jpgIMG_1639.jpg

If it is forged then it was later machined all over. The level of finish detail and the center marks to me say it most likely started as bar stock.

put some crown on the flat face please! if you intend to use it.

I believe the spherical crown radius should be about the center of mass of the hammer head so it doesn't bounce funny from off-center hits.

And, while yer at it, caseharden the face and maybe also the peen

If we've going to go for the last word in shop-made ball-peen hammers, don't forget to caseharden the face and the peen!

There was a vendor, now passed away, at the Avenel Flea Market who used to "fix up" antique hammers with a grinder. It was very frustrating to see nice old hammers which I would have wanted very much except that the case-hardened layer was freshly ground off their faces! (And, of course, he would not listen.)

John R.

To my untrained eye it looks home made, and never used. It is a shame that it was later neglected and allowed to rust. Nice new handle too.
A nice addition to the collection.
Ken

put some crown on the flat face please! if you intend to use it.

I believe the spherical crown radius should be about the center of mass of the hammer head so it doesn't bounce funny from off-center hits.

I considered grinding the face but decided not to, still a nice example of someone else's work. Don't intend to use it much. It has been used at least a little, there is a chip out of the corner where they should have at least had a slight chamfer and some light marks on the face.
Instead I'd like to make my own and do a little better job at it if I can. I like the face radius centered at center of mass idea, never thought about that but seems logical now that you bring it up.

Grigg

Made one here - the type that was a lathe project and screwed together. It was the least satisfactory hammer I ever owned. :rolleyes5:

Sixty years ago now....

Attachments

• Scan 56WHS04.jpg
    Scan 56WHS04.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 884
Yep, I made one of those as an apprentice too, knurled handle, replaceable brass faces... I did a nice job but it's not a comfy useful hammer. In hindsight I wonder if drilling the handle out would help the feel of it..

Anyone made a traditional ball-pein hammer?

It was very frustrating to see nice old hammers which I would have wanted very much except that the case-hardened layer was freshly ground off their faces!

I can hardly believe a hammer would be case hardened in the traditional meaning of the word, as that is normally only a few thousandths of an inch deep. I'm speaking of carburized and quenched. If you are speaking of induction or flame hardening that is normally deeper, and many of us use a different name for that, a lathe bed for instance is not considered by most people to be case hardened.
But forgive me if I'm wrong, aren't most forged hammers through hardened and tempered hotter between the faces? Every hammer I've used was very deep hard faced, perhaps 1/2" deep. It's common to find old hammers with fractured faces indicating very deep hardening.

Hammer faces I've dressed have been hardened very deep, but any through hardened mass of steel is generally slightly softer as one goes down into the surface. (Generally)
In this video carpenters hammers are made, and I believe ball peen hammer heads are made the same way.
How It's Made Hammers - YouTube

So no need to feel that dressing a hammer face is a wrong thing to do. Often when I use a hammer for careful work I polish the face until it is like a convex mirror.
Glen

I took a machining course at a community college many years ago and we students made a cross pein hammer and had to use the lathe, vertical milling machine, shaper and drill press to make it. The head was some kind of tool steel and was heat treated the typical way of heating till red hot and quenching in oil. We then tempered the head by heating the eye with Oxy/Acet torch. I do not think case hardening would be a good process to use for a hammer since that process is used to surface harden steel alloys with low carbon content.
I don't think I managed to heat treat mine correctly as the face and the pein are getting dinged up pretty good and I don't even use it that much. The knurled steel handle is not so comfortable.

Yes, ... a common "project" back-in-the-days of High School "Machine Shop" classes.

Mostly a Lathe project, with a bit of drilling and tapping thrown in, for good measure.

( In lieu of "Shop" class, ... today's schools teach students techniques for becoming "professionally needy", and successfully joining the "Entitlement Class". )

In my opinion, the examples pictured above were surely forged, and then machined and polished.

So far I haven't found any ball-peen hammer plans or drawings as you might expect for a shop project sort of thing.
Closest I have found is about construction, hardening, and tempering from a 1914 American Technical Society book titled Machine Shop Work and Management I also found this section word for word in a different machine shop book/set from the 40's.

Grigg

Hammers, 1914.jpg

PartsProduction,

Hmmm, I obviously should not have written "casehardening." My error. Still, if you'd seen what that flea market vendor was doing to his hammers, you'd not have been happy.

This is especially true if the crown of a well-designed hammer is indeed supposed to be radiused off the center of mass, as was suggested earlier in this thread. Makes one think about how grinding the face away moves the center of mass toward the peen, meaning it might still be possible to re-radius the face while adhering to this design concept. It's a challenge to determine the center of mass of such an irregularly-shaped object except by experiment.

John Ruth

John Ruth

Back in 1985-86, I was loaned from hydroelectric construction to a power transmission line construction project my (then) employer was doing. Being a Professional Engineer, I had to do inspections of a variety of deep caisson foundations for hollow-pole type transmission structures. These foundations had a rebar cage prefabbed out of number 16 (2" diameter) rebar. Every so often, the contractor would hit rock. Some investigation as to whether the rock was competent to take a "rock socket" was done. If the rock was competent, the rebar cage got shortened in the field. There were plenty of cutoffs of that 2" diameter rebar. I took a load of them with me. While on that same job, I made the acquaintance of a farrier/blacksmith. He had a nice shop and made his own tools. From working overseas, I had seen enough good tools forged, hardened and tempered from rebar to know that not all rebar is the "s--t steel" as is commonly believed. Rebar made to ASTM specs is often re-rolled from railroad rail, so has about 0.90% carbon, along with manganese. It will water harden. The blacksmith/farrier I had met knew this as well. When he saw the cutoffs of that 2" rebar, he asked if he could have some. He made hammers from that 2" diameter rebar. Nothing so fancy or so finished as the ball pein hammers made by machinists in this thread. The blacksmith made hammers for forging steel and turning horse shoes. He shod anything from light saddle breeds to heavy draft horses and did corrective shoeing, so said he was going to make some hammers and some anvil tools to suit his needs from that rebar.

I find it hard to believe a hammer head would be casehardened. For what the hammer head is, it sounds like more trouble than it is worth to caseharden a hammer head made of some lower-carbon steel. What I do know, from experience, is courtesy of the people out to save us from ourselves, commercially available hammer heads are sometimes not so hard as they used to be. In 1975, when I was leaving a jobsite/area being reassigned, a then girlfriend gave me a going away present. She went into Gruskin's Hardware ( a wonderful old store, since vanished) in New London, CT, and asked the men there for a blacksmith hammer. They sold her a nice 2 lb cross pein hand sledge, made by Germantown Tool. It has a nice heft to it. Unfortunately, in use, the head started to mushroom a bit at the edges of the striking face. I got in touch with Germantown Tool- probably long defunct as well. They told me they were not drawing the hammer striking faces to the higher hardness they had done previously, citing some new governmental regulations or specs. This was about the time that all sorts of information started getting stamped into hammer heads and striking tools (chisels, punches, etc) such as: "Wear goggles when using this tool". I found that business of stamping the obvious safety warnings into tools was BS. It made it nearly impossible to reforge worn out or broken-off striking tools due to the depth of the stamped letters.
I had a nice talk with Germantown Tool about the whole mess. They said it was a requirement as far as leaving the hammer striking faces a bit softer to avoid chunks spalling off if another hardened surface was struck, or if used in extremely cold weather.

40 + years later, on its third handle, and who-know-how-many dressings of the striking face, I am still using that Germantown hammer. On hot metal, it does not matter much if the face is a little softer. On cold work and striking cold chisels and punches, it is another matter. About 25 years ago, I decided I needed a straight peen hammer. I had a number of ball pein hammer heads laying around. I found a hefty one marked "Globemaster", which had come from a closed auto repair garage. I figured "Globemaster" was likely a cheap hammer from who-knew-where. I put it in the forge, got it hot and let is soak, then slow cooled. I reheated and started playing around with the ball pein end, expecting it to shatter when I started forging, as I had seen some other hammer heads do. This forged nicely.
It sparked like high carbon steel, and took hardness well. I put a chunk of steel in the eye of the head when reforging it, and the ball pein was heavy enough to forge into a reasonable straight peen, narrow, but OK for my purposes.

Hammer heads like a ball pein are best made by forging from a piece of tool steel or at least a steel with 0.60% carbon or better. Forging refines and creates a grain flow that is going to hold up a lot better in service when a hammer is used. Machining from solid bar cuts the rolling lines in the steel. I think of it as wood. If you cut a board to resemble a ball pein hammer head in sectional view, so the grain runs perpendicular to the striking faces and to the handle, you will have areas where the head reduces and necks down to meet the center portion of the head. That is wood that will be prone to splitting off if you were to use this wooden hammer. The grain of the board you cut the sectional view of the hammer head from is about how the grain flow or rolling lines in a piece of bar stock will run. If you hog a hammer head out of a piece of bar stock and harden it, the areas where there are discontinuities have to be deeply radius'd or tapered to avoid the head breaking in service.

Forging a hammer head from bar stock, most smiths will upset forge the ends of the stock. This compacts the grain and causes a nice grain flow that spreads out like it was mushroomed over. Necking the hammer head forging on fullers (anvil tools or dies in a power hammer) will curve that grain flow, following the shape of the head. I liken forging to the days of wooden ship building. In the days of sailing ships made of wood, shipwrights sought out trees that had crooks in them to use for the frames of the ships. Similarly, when blacksmiths and farmers made bob sleds for getting in wood or similar, they went after trees that had crooks in them, or heavy limbs with crooks. These were sawn out to use that curved grain to follow the curvature of the leading ends of the sled runners. I am old school, and forged tools and forged parts in certain applications always made sense to me. I liken working steel to knowing about the grain in lumber. How the steel is rolled or forged plays more of a role than many people realize. In making something so humble and common as a ball pein hammer, a forged head would be my preference, and would make a lifetime tool. There is a resurgence in blacksmithing, and the suppliers of blacksmith and farrier's tools offer hand forged hammers. Quite pricey, and quite interesting to see the different designs and craftsmanship. I have a bunch of hammers, ball peins, cross peins (aka "Engineers Hammers), sledges, the lone straight peen, and a load of anvil tools such as top hardies, top fullers, top flatters, etc. I used to grab any broken or cut off sledge handles on the jobs when I was working full time. Men would cut sledge handles short so they could use a heavier sledge (like 16 lb or 25 lb) in close quarters. I'd take the cutoffs of the handles home. If someone had a split handle, from missing a blow or two, I'd cut that off and take it home. Often, there was enough good hickory or ash to make handles for my hammers and anvil tools. I like to fit the handles to my hands. I maimed the right ring finger some 50 years ago when I was a kid. The doctor initially wanted to amputate, but I chased the surgeon out of the room and cursed and carried on until a young resident said he'd try to save the finger. He did. It works, though the nail is a mis shapen claw, and the "ball" of the finger is offset and compresses a bit differently than my undamaged fingers. Holding a hammer handle can get tiresome for that finger. I take a rasp and drawknife and sander and reshape or make hammer handles that fit my hand with the damaged finger. Light hammers are OK, but swinging something heavier one-handed for long periods does get to that finger. I appreciate a hammer that has good "heft", or "feel", aside from the shaping of its business ends. I also appreciate a well formed handle, perhaps more than a lot of people.

Back in the 60's and 70's I had a ball pein hammer exactly like that one,except it had the maker's name,"Quigley" put on it with a vibrating engraving pencil. Someone stole it from me. It was immaculate,with a perfect deep fire blue spring colored finish on it. I hated to lose it.

Mine did not have the tell-tale lathe center left on the face either. But,the similarities are remarkable. I wonder if the same guy made them,and did not sign or quite finish your hammer? I had to put a commercial handle on mine,BTW.

Your handle,by the way,is quite a good 18th. C. style handle. Though I'm not saying the head is 18th. c. I bought many tools from mr. Quigley's chest,and also have the chest,which dates from the 1880's.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHere's one I bought in a N.Manchester,MA antique store some years ago. No markings except for the initials L.W.P. stamped on both sides. I've always thought it was forged since there seems to be traces of scale on the flattened surfaces and no machine tool marks. The main face is nearly flat on this one too but no trace of turning center marks. The slender handle is only 7/16" x 9/16" at the narrowest point. One bad missed strike and it would no doubt be broken but it has the worn patina that only comes from years of use.
Pics got doubled somehow- there are only 5.

Also a nice looking hammer. The line turned round the back of the ball peen end as an indicator of how far to work out the octagonal reduction hints to me it could be shop made. I think if production made/forged that line would be unnecessary.

The handle on my little one is also quite slender, but it felt good. The replacement handle I made of the same shape but an extra 3/4" on the end, the original felt a little short/small in the hand, perhaps it was trimmed off at some point? I didn't neck my handle down quite as slender, but close, may yet do it.

Here's a hammer I made in high school. I don't remember what steel it's made from, but it's very possible that it's just CRS that I heated and quenched, thinking that was going to harden it. You can see the face is mushrooming so it's not very hard.

And here are two old hammers I picked up a while back. They are not marked, but I was hoping someone may be able to identify them. The pein ends are a distinctive shape and they look to be made by the same maker.

Attachments

• IMG_1521.jpg
    IMG_1521.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,046
  • IMG_1519.jpg
    IMG_1519.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 580

Back