What's new
What's new

Should I Buy This Lathe?

nmk456

Plastic
I found a lathe on Craigslist for $300. Here is the image they put on the ad. The only description is "giant 10 foot lathe that works great". I know this is probably a dumb question, but would a large lathe like this work for smaller and more precise project as well as larger ones? Is there any other possible issues with this machine? Thanks.

Small work being what diameter? That machine would not be a good candidate for small work (anything less than 1"). It's got flat belts- and not the rev range to even turn small parts at an appropriate speed.

There are many possible issues with that lathe...

In these parts that is bargain. Looks to be a South Bend maybe 16 inch with long bed...chuck is worth half the price or more..
I have same lathe but later model, and I do lots of work less than an inch in size. That lathe looks to have been used for wood turning by the debris around it...I use mine for that too - people say mines far too slow for wood turning - I guess I didn't know as I turn lots of beautiful metal and wood on mine...
My max speed is 1100 rpm on mine...that one in pic is likely similar when stock - no idea of its speed range as set up in pic as it has auto transmission being used to drive it..

I’d say it’s not a bad buy at that price if the ways are in decent shape, looks like it might have a drive-all gearbox which can be a nice feature. I don’t think it’s a south bend, someone in the antique forum can probably ID it. As to small work it depends on what you define as small, wouldn’t want to go under an inch or so with that machine, max speed is going to be in the area of 500rpm on it, best to have a small bench lathe and a big lathe for larger stuff in my opinion.

If I needed a lathe and didn't have one (and was low on cash)I would buy it. Cheap enough to gamble on provided you got room and power to support it.

I would recommend taking a knowledgeable friend to avoid any real pitfalls.

I know this is probably a dumb question, but would a large lathe like this work for smaller and more precise project as well as larger ones? Is there any other possible issues with this machine?

The price is a "no brainer".

The question you SHOULD be asking, WHY is it so cheap ?

If I were to guess, I'd be inclined to think it's because of the 70+ square feet of floor space it requires.

Do you have that much space, that you're willing to commit to this machine ?

Only YOU can answer that.

ANY old flat belt drive lathe is likely to have "issues".

So what ?

Lathes, like real estate value, is determined by location, location, location.

Lathe is probably in a basement and requires disassembly, and hoisting up a flight of bulkhead stairs.

Like the Putnam down in Eastern Connecticut which started out as "historical - $750" and ended up as legs resold by another at $300 and "Lathe Parts - $75" by the original seller.

I bet the thousand pound bed is still down those flight of bulkhead stairs.

Joe in NH

I'd say yes but....

Do you have a ramp truck to move it?
How close is it to you?
It's winter it the sellers location plowed?

My last bargin lathe was just 8 miles from home and by the time i plowed her driveway 3 times and highered two difrent tow companys to move it it cost me over $600 to move a $300 lathe...

Price isn't bad. Too many times they are ridiculous.
The old timers that taught tool & die where I went, said that anybody can run a new lathe, but it takes a machinist to make precision parts on an old lathe.

You can make small parts on a big lathe,but you can’t make big parts on a small lathe. Sharp tools and careful work will let you turn small parts on a big machine. Tedious but doable.
A small machine just doesn’t have what it takes to turn large material.

For what it's worth, i bought a 14" swing hendey flat belt lathe with an 8 ft bed last year. this machine is 10 ft long overall. I have yet to run it but it came with a set of collets the smallest of which will hold 1/8" diameter.

You can make small parts on a big lathe,but you can’t make big parts on a small lathe. Sharp tools and careful work will let you turn small parts on a big machine. Tedious but doable.
A small machine just doesn’t have what it takes to turn large material.

For whatever it's worth, I second this thought. I make small parts quite often... well, down to probably 1/4" in diameter. My collet set goes down to 1/8 but I've never needed a collet that small. After all, it isn't as if it was impossible to do small work until now... they did plenty of it on "slow" machines. It's just a different learning curve to master the techniques.

That said, if that is what you are thinking of doing, collets are probably a necessity so if the machine does not already have them some research may be in order. I have a Hardinge set that came with my machine and a 5C set I adapted to it because they are so readily available, cheap and there are all sorts of specialty collets that are readily available.

Looks like someone over on OWWM is picking up your lathe tomorrow.

Sorry,

cb1

Shorter Reed-Prentice (similar timeframe manufacture) available on Craigslist list at $500 reed prentice lathe - tools - by owner - sale

Not much tooling nor drive, but from the pix he's already taken step to make a matching wooden cone pulley - your first natural step in making a drive.

And - he says he wants it out of the garage - a sure sign of willing to dicker.

There are others - a Fay-Scott for $500.

Ect. ect.

Joe in NH

Price isn't bad. Too many times they are ridiculous.
The old timers that taught tool & die where I went, said that anybody can run a new lathe, but it takes a machinist to make precision parts on an old lathe.

“it takes a machinist to make precision parts on an old lathe” - That’s so true!

Looks to be a South Bend maybe 16 inch with long bed..

In no way a SB, and top end is very likely to be less than 400.

Since it is plainly more heavy duty than SB it will naturally run slower

Thumbnail from 1911 shows a 350 top end on a 16" LeBlond Standard, not Heavy Duty.

350 would be not quite 92 surface feet per minute on a 1" dia - ideal for razor sharp HSS - on soft steel

Attachments

• LeBlond 16 from 1911.jpg
    LeBlond 16 from 1911.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 51

Back