What's new
What's new

Index 40 Manual or assistance

Black & Chrome

Plastic
Hi all,
Long time visitor, first time post.
I just unloaded my new (to me) Index 40 vertical mill. I could really use a copy of the manual. Does anyone have one they would be willing to share? A .pdf scan would be ideal or even a copy of a copy (as long as it's legible).
I'm particularly interested in the power feeds and how they work. This one is equipped with feeds for X & Z. I'm having trouble disengaging Z ('cause I don't know how).
It's gonna take me a few months to get it cleaned-up & running. I'd sure like to pick the brains of some other Index 40 owners from time to time.
Any help would be appreciated.

Hi all,
I'm having trouble disengaging Z ('cause I don't know how).
It's gonna take me a few months to get it cleaned-up & running. I'd sure like to pick the brains of some other Index 40 owners from time to time.
Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome aboard!

There should be a 3/8" vertical shaft to the left of the spindle. At the top is a fork that engages a one-way, saw-toothed dog clutch that powers the spindle feed.

At the bottom of that shaft should be a brass lever that when pulled forward, engages the clutch and when pushed back, disengages it.

At first I looked for a manual too but now I think it would have just slowed me down. The 40H has no secrets, it's either all out in the open or just a few fasteners from being exposed. It taught me everything I know about it and that is not much, 'cause there's not that much to learn, absolutely perfect!

While writing this post, one of my stray fingers bumped the stupid button on the right side of my Logitech, "Marble Mouse" trackball. That invoked a litany of changing screens, none of which are useful, meant only to dazzle the eye.

I've got to go now, out into my shop, pry that stupid button out with a screw driver, tear out the underlying switch with needle nose pliers and Bondo that POS hole closed.

Jeez, I'll wipe my own butt thank you! All devices should be as simple as my Index 40H!:drool5:

Bob

Thanks for the advice, Bob.
I think something is stuck inside the housing because the micrometer handle stays locked and won't turn to lower the spindle. It was working the night I brought it home.
I know what you mean about the simplicity. That's a plus for me. Usually I just "dig in" and take it apart to find out how it works too. I figured I'd ask before I had a work bench full of parts. I could just hear the wife say "You just got it and now it's in pieces?" :blahblah: Got it soaking with WD40 right now & I'll take it apart when she's not around.
I don't see any "brass lever" though. Am I missing it or is it painted??
Thanks for the help & good luck with the mouse.

Mark

Attachments

• zfeed.JPG
    zfeed.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 107
You have the later drive. To disengage the Z pull down on the vertical rod with the stop collar on it. As you face the mill the little flag sticking out of the left side of the cover will in automatic mode travel down with the spindle and when it hits the collar it will disengage the drive. You set the collar on the rod to set the disengagement point. Mine has a small trigger on the bottom of it to allow manual disengagement of the drive. You ca find a picture of the small brass trigger here;
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/_2002_retired_files/index-40-3.jpg

lg
no neat sig line

Last edited:
Thanks Larry,

I got it figured out. Pulling down on the rod works to disengage when the drive lever is engaged. My problem was that the drive lever wasn't engaged (at least not by pressing the button). The drive was engaged by raising the quill all the way to the top. This engages the drive. But, it takes downward quill motion to engage all the levers. Once I turned the drive spindle by hand, all the levers locked-in and at that point, I could disengage them again.

Kinda weird. I'm sure there's some logic behind it. I don't quite understand the "why", but at least I understand the "how".

This was apparently the 1954 "upgrade". The older drives look easier.

Thanks for the advice :cheers:

Back