What's new
What's new

Somebody here wants this shaper

Interesting how the "head" is traversed across instead of the work. I like the built in rotary table as well. I have an ancient Rhodes missing the table that is awaiting refurb that might benefit from that idea. If it was closer, I'd give $75 for it in a heartbeat.

I'm by no means expert enough to say if it is a B&P or not. What I can say for sure is that the only two things it has in common with our B&P at Tuckahoe are the fact that it is a traveling head shaper and that the flywheel is on the left.
I don't see any provision for elevating the table. Perhaps the screw is on the right side.
It's very interesting and, if I were closer, I'd have bought it already.

I think that's definitely something worth saving, although I believe I've seen one very similar in another thread here some time ago.

Paolo

...I should have added a third similarity: it's a shaper. ;-)
Anyhow, here are a few pics of our Boyton & Plummer, just to refresh the mind (Click on the picture to open a larger version).

Here is at this year Cabin Fever Show, cutting the dovetails of toolholder blanks for AXA-type toolpost.

Paolo

It also has an unconventional tool clamping system.

I'm 3000 miles away and would have to start by going through and angry wife! I'm also of the notion it is for a special dedicated purpose.

Do you mean the one for sale on Craig List, or the Tuckahoe's Boyton & Plummer? If you mean the former, I've definitely missed it, maybe because I spent too much time close to the B&P.

Paolo

Went through the shaper section of Lathes.co,and did not find a match to that machine. I never knew there were so many little lever action shapers. Another mystery machine.

Sadly there is a vast difference between "want" and "are capable of housing" or I'd have been all over that. I was entertaining the thought hard for a few days but the funky table turned me off appearing not as capable as my small A-unmentionable shaper which it would have had to replace space-wise. One of these days tho I will replace it with a truly capable similarly small antique, maybe a P&W or B&P.

Count me among those who enjoyed the B&P at Cabin Fever along with the various other exhibits, especially the model(? - seems strange to call something so large a model) R/C mine.

Back