What's new
What's new

G L Cady Lathe

g1411

Plastic
I have an old lathe that has been partialy restored. The nameplate says G L Cady, Lowell, Mass. Has anyone ever heard of this manufacturer? Any info on this lathe would be appreciated. I have pictures if anyone is interested. Thanks
George

George L Cady was making lathes starting about 1870...they started with a 8 1/2" foot lathe, then a 10" size and later a 12" and 18" engine lathe....which do you have...I have also seen a very early looking Cady and I'll have to check to see if it is by the same guy...there is also some listing for a Charles Cady also of Lowell....the same or brothers or son??? the firm G. L. Cady & Sons was burned out in 1918. I woul like to see pictures ...either post them or send them direct....thanks

I also have a Cady lathe from Lowell. I believe it is black with red striping, definately never been restored. I'd have to go look at it again. It is a small bench top model, approx 4 foot bed. Looks pretty old, could be 1870ish? I have no photos. I will take one and try too post an image. Odds are the image will disapear in a few days. I use msn for my IP. They provide photo storage, with some limitations.

Posting images on the web has been a major source of frustration for me, none the less. I am willing to try again, if you care to make the same effort.

Hi George,
I got your pictures and I will take some of mine. My lathe is a wood lathe, your is metal turing. I will look this weekend after I deal with work and todays snow. Can you try and post an image here?

peter

Here is a photo of my Cady wood lathe and one of the pics george sent me of his metal lathe under restoration. well maybe....

For now, I am able to cut the http: address without the and paste into the brouser. The small lathe is origional black paint with red striping. I have pics stored away of an old square head Cady jointer with similar (black) and with more ornate flowers painted on. All my photos annd books are temporarily boxed up. I belive Cady was best known for wood working machines, but I have only a little hear say knowledge. It would be interesing to have some sources of printed history on the company and products.

rivet608 could you list sources for your interesting comments on Cady products

Peter

First My GL Cady
[IMG]http://photo.msn.s8.com/MS8zLzEwNDYxMTIyNTYvMS80MDE3LzE1NS8zMi8zMkpnTVE0aU9wSGlPYXhTSU5hQlJ3/e5924822dda3cd9d65b25fc3765edc5f/clbk=HcZNnT9kkUjlZQ!vIW6YJNSNtU4pHf5pX6di0L5OUBsI ZpwqEoiOBaRg1sd*Gp0xguu1b2Lwo9Y$/jpg.jpg

And One of Georges pics

image.aspx

jpg.jpg

[This message has been edited by peter (edited 02-23-2003).]

Peter...the soruce for a number of my posts about dates and locations of machine tool companies are from Ken Cope's books......Ken who I will say right up front is a friend of mine has spent years going through most machine shop magazines...Am. Mach., Machinery, Iron Age., Patent Gazzette..etc and compiled the information into a number of books..most of the info is PRE-1920 or so which is what is most collectable (his market is aimed at tool collectors) .they include 3 books on Machinist's measuring tools (1 on patents and 2 on maker's) other titles include...Am. Lathe Builders 1810-1910, Am. Foot power and Hand Power Machinery, Am. Planer, Shaper and Sloter Builders. and others......note I have no commercial interests in these books however I did help him a bit and having them on my shelf has enabled me to get rid of file drawers full of the same raw data Ken published....

Peter's pix are not showing (not found)

And the Hobby Machinist Page gives: You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons: (list)

Cady I believe had some sort of illicit affair with a young lady and later disowned his family and son on his estate after his passing. I believe he was quite a scandal at that time.

Joe in NH

Peter's pix are not showing (not found)

And the Hobby Machinist Page gives: You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons: (list)

Cady I believe had some sort of illicit affair with a young lady and later disowned his family and son on his estate after his passing. I believe he was quite a scandal at that time.

Joe in NH

Cady is a treadle lathe made in 1870, which is the pictures I am try to post.

Back