What's new
What's new

Steam Valve reseating tool kits

handsome devil

Hot Rolled
When reading a recent "what is this" thread I was compelled to look at these valve seating kits to compare the thought I had that the design was similar? After a while I thought scrap that idea they are not even close without some mind altering medications. But it did rejuvenate the "cool factor" for me. My interest in steam locomotive repair has formed a sub obsession into tooling, tools, after market machine tools for the repair of steam locomotives. Many of the aftermarket tools and machines were equally useful in heavy industry such as steel mills, foundries, paper mills and so on. These little tool kits are not in the same category as Underwood Boring bars or J. Ryerson key seating machines, but are still cool to me. In the last year and a half I found three of these kits in local auctions. Recently I picked up an Oak Suitcase that appears purpose made to hold a riveting kit of sorts. Complete with IR #60 air hammer, complete set of rivet snaps up to guessing 1 1/4" and a air bucking ram holder onner. I have assisted in boiler riveting before so I just went nuts on that one. Anyway thought I would post pictures of the valve seating kits. Was gone for some time so hope I am not duplicating another post?

The first kit I think is older and have been told that industrial steam valves are usually flat seats and most RR steam valves have a 45 degree seat. This older kit has cones that act as guides keeping the valve grinding tool centered. This kit has only the 45 degree cutters and no valve handle to turn the assembly. One of the new kits {I am assuming newer} has a slightly different set up with springs included. I have not used these yet but was told you have to take very light cuts so you don't take to much off and ruin the valve body. Anyway any comments or experience with these tools I thought might be interesting to others? First batch of pics are some of the literature that came with.

000_0019-1.jpg000_0017-1.jpg000_0016-1.jpg
000_0015-1.jpg000_0014-1.jpg

HD:
I have a Skinner kit similar to yours, but newer, in a plastic case with a pull-out tray molded around the cutters and guides. I found it in an antique store years back, but I also acquired mine for steam locomotive maintenance.

Good stuff, thanks for posting!

Thank you for having an interest. My duplicate set I will give to a friend who owns a locomotive that is now in Oregon. He more or less gave me a radial drill press he wasn't going to ship out west. So I have an air jack and one of these kits to give him if he wants them. I do know he wants them so it shall be. I am keeping my riveting tools he has his own. Regards, John.

Back