What's new
What's new

Strange Hendey Tie Bar Lathe

SawyerD44

Plastic
IMG_0283.jpgIMG_0284.jpgHello, this is my first post on PM. I recently purchased an old Hendey Tie Bar. Anyone ever heard of one of these lathes that doesn't have a quick change gear box? It doesn't have a lead screw or half nut lever just a large diameter feed rod. No bull gear or back gear assembly. It appears to be built this way from the factory. I'm bringing it home this weekend so I will post better pictures and add the SN of the machine. She is unique I haven't seen one like it on the internet... I will post some better pictures this weekend

Last edited:
I can't figure out how to post pics right now��

Your initial post can't have pix added - apparently a safety precaution designed in the board software to prevent advertisers from "hit & run" advertising.

You can, however, add picture to your first post as an "edit" while that feature lasts (a day or two usually.)

You want to use the "Go Advanced" tab. Lower down on the resulting page you'll see "manage attachments" button. Click this and it brings you to a screen where you can upload pix to "your file" and from there you can attach it to any number of threads by "click & drag."

Subsequent posts by you or anyone to the same thread can have pix added as part of the action of making the post.

This for a PC or MAC. Users on android or personal computing devices have a more difficult time - I'm not aware of how this is done.

Joe in NH

Specialized Lathe for Facing?

SawyerD44

Please take a more complete set of pictures of this Hendey. We need more info in order to help you.

At the top of this forum, there is a sticky thread explaining what constitutes a descriptive set of photos for a lathe:

Sticky: Instructions for taking a set of "Mug Shots" to identify a lathe or other machine

My first notion is that, without a gearbox or lead screw, but with a feed rod, it must be a specialized lathe for facing operations only. This would be for "production" rather than "toolroom" or "Maintenance, Repair, and Operations" [MRO]

Does it have a tailstock? Some facing lathes don't have, or need, tailstocks.

Last edited:
Nothing strange or specialized about this.
A number of makers made what they called simple turning lathes.
If you were not going to be doing any thread cutting this was a less expensive lathe to buy.
Most lathe work does not involve thread cutting.

I have a Shepard, Lathe & Co. lathe that is simple turning. No lead screw and no back gears, just power feeds.

Rob

I am moving the machine this weekend to my garage to begin the restoration project... I will take some better pictures for you guys and dig up the serial number

SawyerD44:

Actual, not all that unique, at least 250 of these No.1 High Speed lathes were between 1932 and 1950. In 1929, Hendey started
experimenting with some of the then new High Speed Steels. The object being to produce a mirror finish without having to resort to
lapping. They realized that a lathe with a very high Spindle speed and an extremely fine feed rate would do the job. Experimenting with a 12x5 Cone Head model, equipped with precision Timken bearings, they were able to get the desired results. Because of the high Spindle speeds, it was necessary to balance all of the driving plates and face plates used to cut down on vibration. The Driving Belt was endless, again to cut down on vibration. Because of the difficulty of balance, I would not recommend using a chuck at any speed other than the lowest (455rpm). Most work done on this lathe will be Collet or between centers. While not designed for thread cutting, if you convert threads per inch to pitch, you can calculate the gearing need. A total of twenty feed gears were supplied with the lathe and by using the correct charts, the feed can be set for inches per revolution or millimeters per revolution. Standard finest feed rate is .0006 inches per revolution or about 1600 threads per inch. A Tailstock was not furnished as standard equipment, but as an option with two styles. A built-in Collet Closer handle was standard equipment but the closer had to be installed at the factory when the lathe was built. There are very few Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made as required. Without the serial number, I can't give a definite circa of manufacture, but it most likely was built after 1937. The standard upper limit high speed was 2000rpm, but it was designed for an upper limit of 5000rpm. Also, when threading, because of the high surface speeds and the fine pitches involved, you will find that Diamond Tooling, instead of High Speed Tooling, works very well.

Hendeyman

Here are the pictures

Serial number 34334

Attachments

• IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0290.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 177
More Pictures of the lathe

Here are more pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0295.jpg
    IMG_0295.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 177
More

Pictures pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0298.jpg
    IMG_0298.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 134
Hendeyman

Hendeyman
I just added pictures of my No 1 Hendey and accessories to my recent post titled Strange Hendey Lathe... i am wondering how much of the power transmission for the belt drive is factory made by Hendey... I believe a previous owner may have built this up to account for the lack of back gearing... I'd really like to be able to contact you by email if at all possible because it is easier to accomplish from my phone... my email address is [email protected]... I really appreciate your help in learning more about this lathe... you have been a great help to me
Thanks, Dylan S.
Note to fellow forum members... anyone is welcome to email me information about the lathe or other devices in the pictures but please keep any emails related to this subject... I do not wish to sell any of these items at the current time... I am seeking any information anyone may have to help me learn

kitno455:

Hendey lathe #34334, a No.1x30 High Speed Cone Head model, was one of 18 identical High Speed lathes ordered on April 24, 1942. All
had the standard Spindle speed of 2000rpm. The original serial number assigned to this lathe was 34323, but was later changed to 34334. The original motor specifications were Frame 225K, 3HP, 1800RPM, 220 Volts, 60 Cycles, 3 Phase. This order was scheduled for completion during January 1943, but may have been delivered earlier because of the War. The original owner was the Remington Rand Corporation, no city or state was listed. At the time the order was placed, the selling price of the basic lathe was $2015, add to
that the cost of the Plain Tailstock ($95) shown in your pictures and you get a total of $2110. Other accessories, such as the Spring
Operated Tailstock ($145), the Quick Withdrawing Compound Rest ($60) and the Lever Operated Drawing-in Attachment built in at the
factory ($185) were available.

Regarding the Feed Gearing, it is all controlled by the Change Gears fitted to the end of the lathe. The cylindrical casting with the
handle is used to control the forward and reverse direction of the Feed Shaft and hence travel direction of the carriage. The pulley
that is driven via the "V" belt drives a pinion, which is a standard 24 tooth change gear. By varying the Compound Gearing a standard
fine feed of .0006" is possible. By changing the Pinion to 16 teeth and using a few non-standard gears to make up the Compound Gear
train a feed of .0002" per revolution is possible. If you will post the number of teeth in the gears in you present set-up, I should
be able to tell you the feed rate. One more thing, the four speed gear box you have was not supplied by Hendey, but appears to be
someones attempt to slow the Spindle speeds down. The electric motor is mounted at the bottom of the Cabinet Leg and is belted or chain driven to the Countershaft mounted directly above it.

Hendeyman

Hendeyman,
Are there any operators manuals available for this particular model of lathe? I am in the early process of disassembly and I would love to have a parts list to go by... I bought a parts list but it is for a regular Hendey Tie Bar... I'm most interested in disassembling the carriage because something is jammed in the cross feed it will not disengage... I could use a little guidance on taking down the apron without damaging the feed shaft maybe even directions on the proper sequence because I really don't want to break the machine... it happens to be in excellent condition... I see why you like Hendey so much because their craftsmanship was excellent... great fit and quality... thanks Hendeyman for all your help thus far... -Dylan

Back