What's new
What's new

Strausak and Cie Swiss watchmakers grinder - looking for info

Burton LeGeyt

Aluminum
I ended up with this small grinding machine and am looking for any info about it. I have seen reference to Strausak and Cie in google searches but have not seen anything about smaller tools that they have made.

I'm also totally in the dark as to grinding equipment, all my experience is in lathe and mill work. This machine appears to accept 2 grinding spindles, and came with 2. I would imagine that one would accept collets of some sort and this would be used for grinding small pins? I can imagine other uses but if anyone knows for sure I would be interested.

The motor has 2 arbors and they spin in opposite directions from each other. The compound has x,y, and z and rotates around center within about 100 degrees. All of the slides show crisp scraping on almost every surface so this was not used much. Interestingly, it is so tight with the gibs simply in place that I can't imagine how it could have been used at all- It was locked up and covered in grime but as I cleaned it up I was happy to see what was underneath.

For scale the cup wheel on the grinding spindle is about 3" across.

Thanks for any info you can share,

Burton
Boston, MA

grinder-angle-scale.jpggrinder-from-above-1.jpggrinder-from-above-2.jpggrinder-from-behind.jpggrinder-logo-tag.jpg

I came across this looking for something else. I believe your machine is for dressing burnisher wheels.

Then I recognised the name You were in the Boston scraping class with me. Were you the man from Harvard?

Yes! That was me. I remember you too- you had the small surface grinder, right?
I am still working on the little bench mill I started in class. It has been going well but slowly. I am hoping to tackle a bigger project this summer.

Thanks for your thoughts on the little grinder. I'll look into that. I have a few ideas about how I could repurpose it but haven't done any work towards those goals yet.

Back