What's new
What's new

Suspended Runway

Great old comedy with Joel MccRea from 1936(?) The Palm Beach Story played with the idea of a civilian version

Last edited:
Looks to me that by the time you made the parts, got them all onsite, and assembled & tested the thing, the war would be over. Interesting idea, nevertheless. Reminded me of Langen's Schwebebahn in Wuppertal.

-Marty-

Looks to me that by the time you made the parts, got them all onsite, and assembled & tested the thing, the war would be over......

-Marty-

Well, consider the alternative of having to fell trees, pull the stumps, and then at least roughly level the runway. Seems like LOT less work to put up the cable, but, of course, less utility also.

Looks to me that by the time you made the parts, got them all onsite, and assembled & tested the thing, the war would be over. Interesting idea, nevertheless. Reminded me of Langen's Schwebebahn in Wuppertal.

-Marty-

Marty -

As JST said, compared to the time to put in even a crude dirt strip this would not be that bad. Not to mention the issue of getting equipment such as dozers to the site. I found it interesting that the film was put out by OSS (Office of Strategic Services, forerunner of the CIA). They did a lot of crazy stuff - I'm sure some of it never was used operationally.

I don't recall ever reading that this system was used operationally by the OSS, but it may well have been. It was used successfully, however, by the Navy to support the Army. They used LSTs to 'host' the L-4 and L-5 close in shore during invasions. Okinawa was one place it was used -
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.aviation.military/NeYTied2rZw
is a link to one guy telling how he was trained as a pilot to use it. String is almost 20 years old now.

As the one guy said in that link - pilots (and anyone flying with them) are trained to avoid wires at all costs and the concept of flying into one to land is nuts. Plus the helicopter put an end to this type of endeavor.

Dale

Back