What's new
What's new

is there any reason to run a hendey tiebar lathe in reverese

marka12161

Stainless
Sometime in the next few months i hope to clear the honey-do list enough to begin work on getting the hendey 14 x 8 into service. One of the projects will be re-configuring the motor and counter shaft arrangement. Is there a good reason to set the motor up to run in reverse? I recognize that care must be taken when running the threaded spindle in reverse.

Sometime in the next few months i hope to clear the honey-do list enough to begin work on getting the hendey 14 x 8 into service. One of the projects will be re-configuring the motor and counter shaft arrangement. Is there a good reason to set the motor up to run in reverse? I recognize that care must be taken when running the threaded spindle in reverse.

Most Hendeys - maybe all that are "engine" lathes - have lead screw reverse. You could try for hendeyman's blessing as to whether running them backwards is feasible with their single tooth clutch system under the headstock

If you have not seen it, here is my write up on that system from years ago

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ory/hendey-lathe-emergency-113621/#post421468

Running any screwnose lathe in reverse has an element of risk. When a chuck unscrews it is unpleasant to say the least. Those lathes have a type of feed reverse that makes it unnecessary to reverse the spindle. The “dog clutch” keeps the screw in sync regardless of what you do. A thread dial is also not needed.

Tapping to start with. Does it have LSR? Threading away from a shoulder. 40 years of SB ownership tells me the thread on chuck deal is an old wives tale. I was plug reversing it today same as always and the chuck has never come loose let alone falling off and doing a burnout across the floor.

What happened to me was not even a reversing situation. I just stopped the machine and the 6” chuck started unscrewing it’s self. I reflexively stopped it and got a gash on my left thumb that healed,but gave me about ten years of pain in that thumb. That reflex is the real danger,in my opinion. You can’t say for sure that you don’t have it built in unless you have had one come off and go across the floor while you laughed. The thumb has been ok for about ten years now,but my three screw nose lathes don’t have reverse capability any more.

What happened to me was not even a reversing situation. I just stopped the machine and the 6” chuck started unscrewing it’s self. I reflexively stopped it and got a gash on my left thumb that healed,but gave me about ten years of pain in that thumb. That reflex is the real danger,in my opinion. You can’t say for sure that you don’t have it built in unless you have had one come off and go across the floor while you laughed. The thumb has been ok for about ten years now,but my three screw nose lathes don’t have reverse capability any more.

I had a 130 lb employee try to catch a 250 lb chain hoist and block from falling to the floor. Kind of the same thing. I spose.

I think it's cognitive level, not reflex.

Tapping to start with. Does it have LSR? Threading away from a shoulder. 40 years of SB ownership tells me the thread on chuck deal is an old wives tale. I was plug reversing it today same as always and the chuck has never come loose let alone falling off and doing a burnout across the floor.

I got away with that for a long time. Then I was threading an 8 tpi part, and the thing started uscrewing. No big drama, just a messed up part and some inventive cussing..... It actually took me a little bit to understand what did not look right. Then I hit the lever pretty fast.

That deal of chucks running all around the shop? Not at any speed the old lathes run.... they might get a few feet, and better make sure it's not YOUR feet they "get". But if they DO get all the way loose (mine did not) they can put a "nice" divot in the ways.

I've had it happen. Just hit "forward" before it comes off and the thing tightens right up again. In fact, tightens up too tight, it's hard to get off later.

Back