What's new
What's new

Is there asbestos in old electric motors?

maynah

Stainless
I'm taking one apart and started wondering about hazardous materials. The windings are covered in fabric then varnished. Everything is then painted. It's an early 50's motor.

Attachments

• IMG_2986.jpg
    IMG_2986.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 887
Maybe on some of the wire insulation; the old woven fabric kind.

More than that....
Slot paper
Slot wedges
Slot wedge slip paper

The wire insulation (as it came from the roll before winding)
The wire insulation used after soldering connections

Varnish looks like Glyptal.

As long as you are not grinding on it and huffing the dust, it is safe to work on. Is the plan to re-wind, scrap for copper, or just replace bearings? If either of the first two, you might want to take some precautions.

At least one manufacturer advertised "asbestos insulated". literature showed it as the slot insulation. I don't think it was really all that common though. In any case it would probably have been pretty well sealed over with varnish.

I think the risk would be pretty minimal, certainly nothing like pulling off a brake drum. Use similar caution

At least one manufacturer advertised "asbestos insulated". literature showed it as the slot insulation. I don't think it was really all that common though. In any case it would probably have been pretty well sealed over with varnish.

I think the risk would be pretty minimal, certainly nothing like pulling off a brake drum. Use similar caution

The problem is in the removal.
You burn out the varnish to be able to remove the windings.

Once the varnish is gone, the asbestos will powder easily.

Most likely, the insulation is NOT asbestos, unless the motor is a class F or class H motor. Even if it is, the stuff appears to be "encapsulated" rather well, and is probably not a hazard as far as I can see from the pics.

The insulation in lower heat classes is usually ordinary paper, "fishpaper", varnished cambric etc.

Does the motor give an insulation class on the data plate?

If you can remove it without burning it, you will get a lower price for dirty copper. If you burn it out, and can find someone to buy it, again you will get dirty copper price. Yards in Tx will not accept burnt copper, you can take it home, or leave it at the yard, but you will not get paid for it.

I sold about 1900# of motors after Christmas. I got $.13/lb for whole motors. The price used to be higher, but there is talk the Chinese are going to consider scrap motors as hazardous waste. That will put them the same price as scrap iron.

If you can sell the motor whole, do so. A friend who scrapped some copper wound welders when copper was $4/lb thought he might have made minimum wage cutting the copper out.

Could someone please explain the concept of "burnt" wire. Scrap copper would be scrap copper from my limited perspective. If the coatings and varnish is burnt off then what is wrong with the left over scrap copper? I only ask because it doesn't make sense to me. Thanks in advance. Regards,John.

Folks who steal wire often make a fire to burn off the insulation ad it is worth more that way and they do not care about pollution.

When it is burned in a fire it has different color.

Many better scrap yards will not buy it as it is likely stolen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

What's with the fascination with copper? I've heard assholes after seeing a million dollar piece of equipment say " man I'd love scrap that for the copper in it". That DC motor, which appears to be in fine shape, is worth much more than the scrap value to someone who needs it.

What's with the fascination with copper? I've heard assholes after seeing a million dollar piece of equipment say " man I'd love scrap that for the copper in it". That DC motor, which appears to be in fine shape, is worth much more than the scrap value to someone who needs it.

In here eastern european mafiosos have stolen handrails from National Opera House, frp, big convention center and children's hospital :rolleyes5:
Some years ago they stole roof from church in Sweden :nutter:

Back