What's new
What's new

Gemco shaper

shaperhaven

Cast Iron
Does anybody have a 20" Gemco HY. Duty production shaper by lennox , lima ohio I have one and can not figure out how to raise the table. I do not see anything missing. The shaft that turns the elevating screw is there but ,is not made to extend out to put a handle on it. This shaper is made different than my 16" Gemco . Shaperhaven

Attachments

• VA. Penn 005.jpg
    VA. Penn 005.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
My 36" ('63) had a big aluminum handwheel - pushed in it worked the cross feed - pulled out it raised or lowered table - I think. Been a long time. Also had the oil pressure safety - clutch linkage was locked until oil pressure unlocked it. I don't recall it having anything at all to do with Lennox.

John Oder

John, I bet you are right. It had a plastic hand wheel that was broken off when I bought the shaper. I have half of the hand wheel and, I will give that a try tomorrow. Here are some more pics . Thank you Shaperhaven

Attachments

• Shapers 101.jpg
    Shapers 101.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 219
  • Shapers 102.jpg
    Shapers 102.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 268
  • Shapers 104.jpg
    Shapers 104.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 234
Hmmnnn
this ones a 20" STD DUTY St. Luis
Has a square shaft end on the other side of the cariage.
Where yours does not?

I didn't know there were so many different options.
I ran 20" HVY DUTY St. Luis
it was diffent in bulk and cariage strenght, and locks maybe.
but the cranks were the same I think?
m1m

There's been a Gemco shaper manual on E-bay forever?
Take a look

Still have the bevel gears that go in that box. If the 36" fit the 20". you are welcome to them for the cost of a flat rate box.

You probably know the lever visible in 104.jpg is the rapid - and it also works on the table.:)

John Oder

Thank you John, but the bevel gears look to be in good shape. I have a G&E with a rapid traverse it has a lever that you can move to engage the cross feed or the elevating screw. Machine1medic ,I have seen the manual on ebay but, I am not to willing to give up the 64 bucks just yet. Shaperhaven

Thank you John, but the bevel gears look to be in good shape. I have a G&E with a rapid traverse it has a lever that you can move to engage the cross feed or the elevating screw. Machine1medic ,I have seen the manual on ebay but, I am not to willing to give up the 64 bucks just yet. Shaperhaven

64$ crimanny!

That rapid if on a Gemco is driven by a separate motor off to the back I think.
this one has it too.

m1m

If you can see the bevel gear- look for the pinion gear and which way its shaft runs- and where it mught go to.

I do not have it in front of me- but my Smith and Mills manual shows for the larger shapers the elevating feed shaft gears into the carriage traverse. Do not know if this is with a rapid traverse or not.

John, You are right . I pulled the shaft out and, it engaged the shaft that goes to the elevating screw. Now I have a new problem. The shaft that goes to the elevating screw will turn but, the elevating screw will not turn nor will the table move up or down. I just bought the parts manual for the gemco off of ebay. I think I have some work ahead of me now but, then again it may not be that bad. Shaperhaven

Make sure the knee gibs are unlocked. Soak everything down in your favorite penetrant and keep working it carefully. When it does move, it'll be a lot easier to lower than raise. Drop it down, clean what you can (ways, screw, etc...), raise it up, repeat. Do this several times working an inch or two at a time and it'll probably be fine.

The gibbs are unlocked and nothing is stuck. I have a sheared pin or key or maybe a miter gear missing. Someone has been into this before because , there is a thrust bearing laying on the base around the elevating screw. I will have to get some more time to check all of that out. Shaperhaven

I bought a parts book on ebay for the Gemco shaper. I got it today. I thought it might be for the lennox built Gemco that I am having trouble with. it covers my St Louis Gemco instead. If any needs info on the St Louis Gemco then, I will be glad to help out as much as I can. Shaperhaven

I will have to get some more time to check all of that out. Shaperhaven

Gee! You know a good place to get some of that!:D
I'll see if they have a franchize around here ?

Seriously, patience and increments, and you'll get to the bottom.
Wish I had an encouraging answer, but all I can offer is........
Is it "dead-stuck" won't budge even a hair/
or kinda stuck.....some soft but uncertain movement?

m1m

M1M , the shaft spins free and there is no resistance from the elevating screw. I may have to pull the table and all off to see what is going on. That will require me to move 4 shapers. I will have to come back to this one later. I don't know where you can get more time and, I have only seen one round tuit. Shaperhaven

Back