What's new
What's new

New OLD Fosdick radial drill for garage!

jeff76

Cast Iron
I picked up an old Fosdick radial drill today. Anybody have any guesses as to the age, model, weight, or a manual would be nice. I'm assuming its a 3' size as the arm is close to 3 1/2' long. It had a 4-jaw chuck on the table for a vise. The table and chuck were taken off to shed some weight for loading and unloading purposes. I have an OLD 4000# forklift and it was all it wanted to do to lift it off the trailer today. At a quick inspection I found the #4986 stamped in the gear rack for the arm. Not sure if that would be the serial # or not. Pics are attached.

Thanks,
Jeff

Attachments

• Radial drill 001.jpg
    Radial drill 001.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 797
  • Radial drill 002.jpg
    Radial drill 002.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 946
  • Radial drill 003.jpg
    Radial drill 003.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 616
Last edited:
Very cool! I have always wanted a radial drill in my garage. Cant tell you much about it, but I can imagine a 4k forklift barely made it lol. Thanks for sharing.

We may have drill brothers here. Mine has a swinging tilt table on the column, but looks VERY similar, otherwise. Can you provide a little better shot of the head? Curious to see how your shifters are set up. I'll check my serial tomorrow.

BTW, that gearbox on the base has one speed that is not easily figured out. It would appear to be a 5spd box, but it's a 6. If you sit the tumbler on one of the notches BETWEEN two speeds and take it out of gear it does not just spin the input shaft. There is a planetary gearset with a one way over running clutch that kicks in when none of the other speeds are engaged and gives the lowest speed range.

Attachments

• Fosdick1.jpg
    Fosdick1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 468
  • after2.jpg
    after2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 459
Blazemaster- Been looking for one for a while, but there's not too many in my price range ("cheap").

Tyrone- I figured I was pushing it, but luckily I only had to lift it up and pull out from under it and let it back down.

Mike- Our drills look very similar indeed. I'm attaching the pics you requested. Let me know if thats what you wanted to see. I've not had this one under power yet. Can the lever to raise and lower the arm be engaged with the motor running on these or does it need to be shifted before starting the motor? I noticed that the chart on mine goes all the way to a 3" bit. That seems like a lot of drill.

Thanks,
Jeff

Attachments

• Radial drill 004.jpg
    Radial drill 004.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 572
  • Radial drill 005.jpg
    Radial drill 005.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 567
  • Radial drill 006.jpg
    Radial drill 006.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 338
when moving these be sure to secure the arm somehow other than just the clamp on the column. a strap or chain from the base to the end of the arm or some such. these have a way of suddenly swinging when being moved and then you are screwed. I heard a story from a rigger where they were moving a good sized radial on the upper floor of the Remington Arms plant, the arm swung and the whole drill looked like it jumped up and flipped right down a stair well! no one was hurt, but that must of been a miracle!

What's the taper in the spindle? I'm guessing that if the chart shows up to a 3" bit, it is MT5?

How many ponies does it take to drive that 3" drill bit?

Andrew

What's the taper in the spindle? I'm guessing that if the chart shows up to a 3" bit, it is MT5?

How many ponies does it take to drive that 3" drill bit?

Andrew

It actually has a mt4 taper and a 5hp motor on it. If I remember correctly the chart said 25 rpm and lightest feed I think for that drill. It does seem like a large bit for mt4 to me.

John- Agreed on securing arm. Thats the last thing I needed to happen.

Jeff

Jeff, that's what I wanted to see. Mine has two separate handles for four head speeds instead of the T handle shifter. Where yours has that belt drive to the motor, mine has a massive cast gear drive transmission case and a cast adapter for the transmission and motor that bolts to the back of the base.

The arm elevation mechanism stumped me at first. I put it in gear, hit the motor and stalled it! Yikes! There's just too much startup torque to pull the arm and all from a cold start. I then tried easing it into gear with the motor running at lowest speed (that planetary reduction) and it bashed gears and made all kinds of nasty noises. Finally, I took a deep breath and smartly snapped it into gear... the arm eased right up. Same going down. It's just straight cut gears, so you can't be gentle with it. Don't ape it, but decisively and authoritatively snap it into gear with the motor at lowest speed.

This machine will indeed pull a 3" diam drill... remember, most very large drills are carbon steel, not HSS. Therefore, the speed should be half what you would run on HSS (30-35fpm). That 5hp motor at 40rpm is a torque monster. At .020 feed, it'll make a 3" hole at .8"/min. You'd need to pilot drill to the diameter of the drill web to keep thrust forces down a bit on a machine with a small column like this.

Another thing you will love is the ability to power tap big holes. That clutch lever for the spindle is amazingly sensitive (in fact, I think these are called "Sensitive Drills" by Fosdick because of that clutch). You can feather a 10-32 or cruise a 1"-8 just as easily. Ease down to the work with the hand feed, then tug on the clutch enough to get the tap to bite. Once started, the tap will self-feed, then push the clutch away to back out. Makes a grueling half hour of work with a big tap wrench a ten minute job with no sweat or aching involved. You can get Morse Taper tap drivers for a few bucks each on Ebay and such. Get some adapter sleeves, too... 4-3, 4-2 at least one of each.

Nice to have a big chuck and a little chuck. I have a Jacobs 20N , a 14N and an 11N (all ball bearing). That way I have 0-1" capacity as well as a shorter chuck, when needed. You can come out about as well with an 18N and an 11N. That gives you 0-3/4" capacity without the massive 20N, which is certainly a two hander to get in the spindle.

Make sure the column rotation lock is bound before starting the motor. The shafting will cause the column to slowly rotate if it's not locked. If you have to do floor drilling, sling your column mounted table to the other side as a counterweight for safety. As long as you keep the head within about 30-45 degrees of centerline, these little drills are not going to go over on you.

As for weight, mine with everything on it was over 6,000lbs. I probably have another 500lbs over yours with that transmission and motor mount plate, and the tilt table stuff. There were no lightweight radials coming out of Cincinnati.

WE have on of those at work, but it may be a little new model as the head is much bigger... The base looks about the same size though. They were talking about selling it a while back so I'll ask how much they want if anyone is interested. It's way too big for my single car garage or I'd take it myself...:(

Mike- Thanks for all the information. Mine has three speeds with the t-handle instead of four. Although it appears to be belt driven in the picture, I believe that it is gear driven. I didn't remove the cover, but it looked like a gear on the motor shaft at a quick glance through a small hole the other day. I will have to check tomorrow. What do you use to lubricate the gears in the gearbox on your machine? Mine appears to have a bunch of crud (maybe old grease?) in it. I wasn't sure if it should have a heavy oil in the bottom or if an open gear grease should be used or what?

Millermachine- Thanks for the date. That sounds like it could be right. I'm not positive that is a s/n or not. I don't know for sure where they put there serial numbers at. I would have thought it would have been stamped on a casting instead of the gear rack that could be replaced.

miller, that sounds about right. From the motor serial, I figured mine to be late 20s.

The tranny gearbox on mine is totally enclosed and has an oil level. The tumbler gearbox itself has no oil sump. There are oiling tubes to all the bearings and even one on the tumbler itself. I hit them with way oil and let it ride.

There were no lightweight radials coming out of Cincinnati.

This is probably the lightest one. Rob Lang has one of these.

americanrs.JPG

Andy

Man I'd love to have that! We have a similar Fosdick in our place. It only has Z movement and no X/Y (it's a tall sucker too). We've got a bunch of ancient specialized tooling that would love a machine like yours though.

Back