What's new
What's new

Grenby cylindrical grinder

oscer

Cast Iron
Hi fellas, I cant find much information about the Grenby co. it was in Plainville, Connecticut Ijust bought a 9"x 12" cylindrical grinder made by them. it seems to be in pretty good condition and hopefully will be put into service in my hobby shop. does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with these old machines? Thanks, oscer

I have a sales brochure on the Series 103, IG_103 and EG-103 grinders. Also Instruction book for same. No experience with either. Is that what you have? Swing over table 9" and between centers 10" (inside & outside grinders) I am assuming these are different.

Also some photostat copies for FG-1, S-1, TRS-1 and EG-10 (photo stats are negative's similar to B&W film on glossy photo paper like pages) Various machines such as surface and fluted grinders as an example of two. Did not notice cylindrical. But I only looked very quickly.

Maybe you check you builder plate for a Letter/number model designation.

A good photo or photos never hurt.

pictures cylindrical grinder

Attachments

• cylindrical grinder resized.JPG
    cylindrical grinder resized.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,068
  • footstock 2 resized.JPG
    footstock 2 resized.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 453
  • footstockresized.JPG
    footstockresized.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 434
I found a little something on EG-1. I assume the EG-2 was just a larger capacity. This was a photo stat. I scanned and reversed the color.

FWIW:

Attachments

• Page1.jpg
    Page1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 350
  • Page2.jpg
    Page2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 235
And just for yucks, here is the series 103 catalog. If you want either this or previous in higher resolution the click on my name and send me an Email with your Email address.

Attachments

• Page1-103.jpg
    Page1-103.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 312
  • Page2-103.jpg
    Page2-103.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 479
  • Page3-103.jpg
    Page3-103.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 309
  • Page4-103.jpg
    Page4-103.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 286
For a second I thought the picture was just the workhead, then I realized that was the whole machine. That's a tiny cylindrical!

For a second I thought the picture was just the workhead, then I realized that was the whole machine. That's a tiny cylindrical!

Peter, thanks for posting the catalog information.

Stephen, I have no experience with grinding machines but last May I bought a Gorton tool and cutter grinder model 375 if memory serves, it can be tilted, twisted and turned every which way and I haven't done much with it yet. This Grenby grinder has a toolhead that can be rotated 360* but you can't tilt it on the vertical axis.

Gerwood, It was advertised as a 9" by 12" cylindrical grinder. I don't know how they came up with those measurements but it looks like 6" is all I'll get between centers.

I have a couple questions maybe someone can answer, there are zerts along the longitudinal ways, I would think I would want to lube all the ways with way lube and the spindles with something light like 10 wt. spindle oil eh? 2nd question ,there is a small hex shaped rod with a slot cut into it protruding below the center on the foot stock and something is missing from it. Anyone know what used to be there? You can see what I mean in one of the footstock pictures.

I have to build a suitable stand to mount this thing on and check out the wiring, (it set around for a long time) before I can try it out it seems pretty stiff Ill clean it up and lube it good and give it a try but it probably be a week or so till I get around to it. Thanks to all for any advise or comments concerning the use and care of this tool, as I said I have no grinding experience.

The manual states "Table Way Lubricant" and "approved spindle oil". Else where is mentioned "Velociter Oil E " for the spindle drip oiler. Also states not to use higher viscosity oils on the table or action will be sluggish.

I dont see anything pictured on that tail stock piece. I can "wild guess" there was a quick close lever option.

Hi fellas, I‘ve been working on this old grinder when time is available, so far a stand has been built for it, the motors and switches were rewired and it has been discovered that the motor that runs the head stock had a worn out bushing and the shaft was also worn pretty badly. My wife ran the mig welder while I turned the armature with a RT. Probably not the best idea we ever came up with, but we got the job done. I rgh turned it straitened it on the arbor press and turned it to 1/16” over original size. Then reamed the bushing to .001 over shaft Dia. And I’m happy to say that the head stock works very smoothly.

The glass cylinder of the grinder spindle oiler is cracked in 3 or more places , so one has been ordered from McMaster Carr. I hope it will fit, it’s a little longer than the original. I’m not sure how this oiler is supposed to work, if you look at the shape of the housing it is larger Dia. In the middle than it is at the ends. If you look down into the hole where the oiler fits you can see that the oil will drip on the grinder shaft, I guess the spinning shaft will throw oil all over the inside of the housing and some of it will run down the inside contour to the bearings at each end. I wonder how fast you should set it to drip.

I also took the bed off and noticed it had been lubed with grease which became kinda hard over time so it has been cleaned up and an adapter is being made for an oil can. I'm hope to be able to pump way oil into the grease zerts. Need to make a handle for the bed feed wheel and a stop, then I think I'm ready to try to put this old machine to use.

Firstly sorry to oscer, I didn't mean to butt in. I have no information that will help, sorry

Hello Peter, I have been looking for information on a Grenby Grinder I just bought here in UK. It is a Grenby TRS-1. and seems to be in pretty good condition (less the motor).
I have replaced the spindle bearings and everything else seems OK.

In your post you said you have some photocopies of sales brochures for that same model (TRS-1) would it be possible to buy a copy for my information, because I think some bits are missing (judging by similar pictures)

This my first post on the forum, so hello to all from the UK, Terry

Last edited:
Neat looking machine!
But strikes me more as a tool and cutter grinder than a true cylindrical?

smt

I thought that also but it looks like there is no vertical to put wheel above or below center. Perhaps it has that feature but I can’t see it in the photos or reading the text. Certainly end mills ends could be rotated slightly in the work head to accomplish point center angle for ends and OD sharpening would not be any problem so it could be effectively used for some cutter sharpening with mounting a finger to the work head or to the wheel head..

*Correction: With not having a tilt work head or a tilt wheel head and with having no vertical cutter sharpening would be difficult.

Buck

Back