What's new
What's new

Some Micrometer Measuring Instruments from Machinery ( Sept 1904) by A.L. Monrad.

Jim Christie

Titanium
I found this article ,
Some Micrometer Measuring Instruments from Machinery ( Sept 1904) by A.L. Monrad.
Machinery
when I was looking up another link I had saved for another thread.
Given the number of rare and unusual micrometers that have been mentioned in other threads here lately I thought I would post this story.
It would be interesting to find out if that example still survives somewhere or if someone who had read the article in the day was inspired to make something similar for themselves .
Maybe one will turn up some day as an auction , estate sale or flea market find to be identified .
It seems the author has a rather impressive background .
I would guess that few people today would have the time and ability to even consider making something like this even in a well equipped modern shop.
Regards,
Jim

Last edited:
Jim,

Thank you for the post and URL. I just printed the article and will read it this afternoon.

I am interested because I have "found" several complex, interesting and very well made precision machinist measuring tools over the decades. Unfortunately, most remain unidentified as to maker and whether they were ever manufactured. Many arguments have ensured with fellow collector as to whether the items were ever produced more than once.

One of the nicest sets of precision tools I have see sold over a decade ago to Rick Benze at a Bates and Brown Auction in PA. It was a early machinist chest filled with one man's made tools. Each was finished as perfectly as a J. Stevens polished tool and each had sections that fitted together with a taper. Magnicicent.

I once "found" a Pratt surface gauge that no one thought was ever made, but was patented. I still don't know if it was a manufactured item or if I found the patent model????

I have to now read the article, thanks again. This is what makes collecting fun! But, it looks to complex to be a successful manufactured item?????

:cheers:

Be sure to pack up a page to the prior story and read about how "car inspectors are beaten" - you'll never wonder about aerospace tracking and inspection again....

Thanks Antique Mac ,
I looked around a little and it seems like Monrad contributed a few times to Machinery in this volume
Machinery
and this issue has him leaving the Winchester Repeating Arms Co. to go to H.A. Adams Tool Co. in Hartford Conn. in 1906
Maybe something more will turn up about him.
A couple of other unusual tools I found in the same volume by but not by Monrad.
A Set of Accurate Test and Inspection Gages for Small Duplicate Work
Machinery
Gage for Maintaining Standard Tapers
Machinery
Regards,
jim

I have had that article in my file for years.... I think most of these were ideas for guys to make for their own use in the shop and were never commercially produced. I partially base this on the fact that I have never seen examples in catalogs, collections or for sale (of course if this were the case they may well be in my collection now)....... there are just so many ways to use a micrometer and I'm folks come up with new ones all the time.

Back