What's new
What's new

Traveling 240 miles to view a hendey 16 x 54

Goerger

Plastic
My first post.
Thanks to youtube legends, I caught the machinist bug hard in the last few years. I've researched and saved and planned and set goals (my childrens science fair projects will be 1st prize.) So im starting to pull triggers. I bought a 1966 bridgeport with complete (extensive) tooling last week. The weather is prohibiting me from moving it home this weekend so I decided I will drive to wisconsin to view a relic.
She's a dirty old girl. Full of shmoo and very few chips. Present owner doesnt seem to know much about it but it comes with tooling that appears to be worth quite a bit and I'm guessing 1000 pounds of extra this and thats. Asking price is 2750, owner was unable to get me the serial number.
So wish me luck. Im hoping for a not so in depth project. Just something to clean, paint and tinker with until my boys are of age to work in my sweat shop. Lol

Attachments

• 00x0x_2uCKAj2P1L1_1200x900.jpg
    00x0x_2uCKAj2P1L1_1200x900.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 382
Any good guesses on the approximate age and weight?
It's under power but before I bring the giant back to life Im planning on cleaning the ways, removing the gear covers, chuck, lubing, etc during my 3 or 4 hour inspection opportunity. Anything to be mindfull of on models like these. Outside of an hour on an impecable 10ee, a 60s leblond regal gearhead is the oldest lathe i have ran.

I can't help you with a gear-head Hendey, but I wish you success on your journey. I absolutely love my Hendey and she's probably 50 years older than the one you're going to look at. As I'm sure you've already read, tooling is king. Just shy of $3000 sounds great for that Hendey and with 1000+ lbs of included tooling... that would be a steal in my book.

More knowledgeable members will drop by and offer their opinions and I would encourage you to listen to them much more than me. :)

view a relic.
"legend", not relic.. read on..
something to clean, paint and tinker with until my boys are of age to work in my sweat shop. Lol

Then Hendey - any model or age - goes to the head of the shopping list.

Lots of good attributes, but the one as matters most in an age when ALL good-old manual lathes are old and worn is that most things as ever attempted to interfere with a Hendey came out second best.

Legendary for not admitting of as much damage as lighter goods, then being more straightforward to repair if it has happened.

Take money and a plan for rigging & transport home on your "inspection" trip.

My bet is you'll JF buy it, first-sight of it.

:)

18 speed - top of the line - likely goes to 1000 top end, though early ones were limited to 600ish

Could be thirties to fifties and later ones will have hardened and ground ways

Here is my write up on the Lead Screw Reverse starting at Post #17 in linked thread

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-emergency-113621/?highlight=Hendey+Threading

Here is manual scan - thanks to Greg Menke for hosting this for me

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/hendey/1940-Hendey-Op-Man.pdf

One of the very best tool room lathes ever built

A 16 X 54 was a little over 5100 Lbs less motor and electrical equipment in late thirties catalog

On Edit:

The L1 spindle nose suggests earlier than later when the D1-6" became prevalent - though I think there ARE 18 speed Hendeys with plain spindle bearings and threaded spindle noses

...One of the very best tool room lathes ever built

A 16 X 54 was a little over 5100 Lbs less motor and electrical equipment in late thirties catalog

Certainly "more than good enough" for the use it is likely to see, next fifty years.

And here's another thing we tend to overlook. Where an initial starting point - a given machine tool choice - "leads" us.

I make far more experiement than chips. The extra 2,000 RPM each of 10EE and HB-360-BC might matter to he who still earns a crust with his machines, but i am not he, nor ever will be again. With a multiple-lifetime supply of all manner of HS, HSS Cobalt & beyond? Matters not a wit to ME they could do carbides better than this lower-RPM Hendey.

If, by another metric as may actually matter, too, I had started with but the one Hendey?

I'd have probably stopped there, as well. Appetite "sated", if you will.

And been somewhere between US$ 12,000 and $30,000 better-off, financially, in the spend on machines, transport, parts, redundant 3-P and DC power, and their tooling.

No complaints. Still fun. Also saner than chasing wild wimmin' at my age. Or at least less embarrassing, should I get unlucky and actually catch one.

But still.. do factor that "money pit" blackhole effect in too. Before you are past the "event horizon". B****y "viral" Old Iron can be...

18 speed - top of the line - likely goes to 1000 top end, though early ones were limited to 600ish

Could be thirties to fifties and later ones will have hardened and ground ways

Here is my write up on the Lead Screw Reverse starting at Post #17 in linked thread

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-emergency-113621/?highlight=Hendey+Threading

Here is manual scan - thanks to Greg Menke for hosting this for me

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/hendey/1940-Hendey-Op-Man.pdf

One of the very best tool room lathes ever built

I'd be happy with 1000 rpm. 600 rpm not so good but I'd still give it a go. That's a good looking lathe. Clean it up and it'll look great.

Regards Tyrone.

Great lathe 18 speed is kinda rare. Good size even for a home shop. Out grew my 12-30 hendey in a month then started looking for something bigger.

If I was a betting man I'd put it between late forties to mid fifties. I've got a 1954 rp same size, mass, with similar styling cues, Chuck mount, top speed 1200 if i remember right.
That's a good looking lathe, sounds like a sweet deal.

Hardly break 300 on either the 12-30 or my 24-60 anymore. Use carbide for everything and kinda prefer the satin finish. The chips aren't coming off so fast and going everywhere making a bigger mess.

Returned from the trip. Did not spring on it... yet

I began a new thread with the machine details. Many problems. Maybe operator error.. The moderators are reviewing it, take a look when it posts.

Back