What's new
What's new

Tree 2UV quill extremely tight and shaft damaged

discojon

Plastic
I just picked up a tree 2UV mill and have begun fixing a few small things that I've noticed. The current situation is that even with the spindle lock off, it is very difficult to raise and lower the spindle. Not smooth and easy like it should be. I also found that several of the splines on the shaft that raise and lower the spindle were sheared off. How does the spindle get removed so I can further inspect and clean? Also, the machine came without the yoke for the collet closer. Are those available anywhere?

You may be able to get parts from http://www.zpsusa.com/kneemills.html
I have a 2UVR which is different since it has the geared head, but on mine there are two bolts one in front and one behind the head. If you remove those you can lift the top off the spindle casting itself.
The quill has a spllned shaft above it that runs in a set of rollers. If these rollers get tightened down too much they damage the splines. Is there a large set screw in the middle of the front of the head? If so take it out and look inside while you raise and lower the quill.

You can find more info including some manuals and stuff if you join the Tree yahoo group here: Yahoo! Groups

I was able to remove the spindle yesterday evening and clean everything up. The main issue turned out to be one side of the spindle lock was wedged in and even when loosened, was pressing on the coller. I also found a crack in the casting for the spindle lock, but it shouldn't affect operations.

Back