What's new
What's new

Unable to identify this antique lathe. Plz help. late 1800's?

Wknd326

Plastic
Hi I acquired this lathe a week ago. It is strictly manual and seems really really old. It has some sort of manual gearbox to it which I find very cool.
I've taken off the lead screw as I found the center bearing to be quite loose. It didn't roll across smoothly and I noticed the lead screw moved a little.

I am hoping that some experts may recognize this model as I have no idea where to get parts for it. Here are a few pictures.

Shared album - Robert Richard - Google Photos Entire machine
Shared album - Robert Richard - Google Photos Writing on right side
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xt0Gejlk8XHg9Rfw2
Shared album - Robert Richard - Google Photos gearbox
Shared album - Robert Richard - Google Photos leadscrew set

Hi I acquired this lathe a week ago. It is strictly manual and seems really really old. It has some sort of manual gearbox to it which I find very cool.
I've taken off the lead screw as I found the center bearing to be quite loose. It didn't roll across smoothly and I noticed the lead screw moved a little.

I am hoping that some experts may recognize this model as I have no idea where to get parts for it. Here are a few pictures.

Shared album - Robert Richard - Google Photos Entire machine
Shared album - Robert Richard - Google Photos Writing on right side
Shared album - Robert Richard - Google Photos
Shared album - Robert Richard - Google Photos gearbox
Shared album - Robert Richard - Google Photos leadscrew set

Eli Horton, Winsdor Locks, CT - maker of the CHUCK that was on it, perhaps.

https://books.google.com/books?id=R...6AEISDAH#v=onepage&q=Eli Horton lathe&f=false

I've no idea who made the lathe itself, but pre-1900 is probable, and "parts"? You MAKE those.. Or do without.

You need to get better photos of the headstock, apron, carriage, and tailstock.

Also check all over the HS and the bed casting to see if a maker's name isn't cast right into it.

I looked over the internet for pratt and witney lathes. It looks very much like this photo I have found except mine seems to have been heavily modified to be equipped with some transmission assembly and industrial belt drive. So far no signs of other marking on the lathe itself or tailstock. I'm cleaning it up. Its seen better days but it starts right up and the chuck run-out is about .002in from my current observations. It's my very first lathe. I was planning to make small bushings and cylinders of sorts with it. Mostly bronze-oil, polyurethane, nylon and aluminum. Should work to learn on. I hope....

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...4960-early-pratt-whitney-lathe-ebay-lathe.jpg

Look for a bronze plaque about 2" X 3" - they had several iterations of the P&W name on such

Add somewhat legible scan

Attachments

• tag2.jpg
    tag2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 81
Some links to various P&W lathes from 1867 to 1880.
Also the P&W name plate which should be on the head stock, which I think is missing.

Take care of this lathe as it is quite early. It even still has what looks to be the original bronze oil cup on the tail stock.

Scientific American v.16 1867. - Full View | HathiTrust Digital Library | HathiTrust Digital Library

The Manufacturer and builder : a practical journal ... v.12 188. - Full View | HathiTrust Digital Library | HathiTrust Digital Library

Rob

Attachments

• P&W lathe 39.jpg
    P&W lathe 39.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 100
  • P&W tag 2.jpg
    P&W tag 2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 75
  • P&W tag 5.jpg
    P&W tag 5.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 87

Back