What's new
What's new

Unknown Grinding Fixture - Any Information ??

JPMG

Plastic
Can anyone can identify my unknown fixture ? I thought it was just an odd looking dividing head until I started to clean it up. Originally it was just black gunk. Now it looks like a “Universal Grinding Fixture”.

The cylinder takes 5C collets, has a scale and a dividing plate. The barrel rotates 360 and the base also rotates 360. It has a builders plate that has “Eastern Machine & Tool Co. 170 Broadway, New York 38, NY, Manufactured by All Tool Co., Hillside, NJ. Pat. No. 2434600”

The patent information indicates a “Swenson Universal Grinding Fixture” patent filed March 05, 1946 issued on date January 13,1948. The fixture looks like the drawings, but there as some small differences.

If anyone has some information on it or where it came from I would appreciate it.

Some pictures are attached.

Many Thanks!

(01)Unknown_Fixture.jpg(02)Unknown_Fixture.jpg(07)Unknown_Fixture.jpg(03)Unknown_Fixture.jpg

JPMG,

Welcome to the 2018 edition of the PM.

As usual I have no info to share on your fixture, I just want to compliment you on a wonderful find. That thing is a real cutie..they certainly don't make them like that anymore..anywhere, and it's 5C to boot.:)

Stuart

Edit. After post #3, it appears I was wrong, they are still made, but they ain't cheap!

Last edited:
Agree it looks very handy.. a lot of manufactures made nice grinding fixtures back in the day we had so many jobs and before CNC could make just about anything..

Looks like it could do Ends and with the spin movement perhaps smooth running bearings it likely could do ODs much like one would use and air spindle..agree an air spindle would be better for smalls (under 3/8 or so). Could spin diameters and step dimensions so drills, counter bores, single flute gun drills and step drills. Could do reamers but best they be done in a tube or between centers.

Very handy for a TC or surface grinder.

I really appreciate the help and information you all provided on my little tool.
It was a crap shot, but turned out well. Works smooth and turns well.

Originally I was just going to use it as an indexer, but it seems to have more potential.
This spring I can get it onto my LIP surface grinder. (That is once I get it back together and powered up.)

Larry ... thanks for the picture of a similar one in the box.

Cheers!
... Mike ...

Oops ... hit send too soon.

Based on your information and some searches it could also be called an All Tool "ROTADEX"

Back