What's new
What's new

Unknown Machine Tool?

Betnorm

Plastic
Hi All, I recently purchased a box containing a group of Skoda 5mt replaceable tips for a live center. In the box there was also a group of 4 tools which I have not got the faintest idea of what they are and what was their purpose. There are no identifying marks on the tools and the threaded screws which screw into the tops are reverse thread. Can anyone please enlighten me? Regards To All NormIMG_5170.jpgIMG_5167.jpgIMG_5168.jpgIMG_5169.jpgIMG_5170.jpgIMG_5167.jpgIMG_5168.jpgIMG_5169.jpg

They look like arbors for small grinding wheels, likely used in an ID grinding attachment. This sort of grinding wheel generally has a recess on one side to accomodate the head of the securing screw.

If you can measure the (two different) tapers and threads on the tapered ends, someone here can probably give a good idea about the machine they were intended for use in.

That makes sense. I had thought along those lines but could not get over the hump of how the grinding wheel could be locked up so as it would not slip when under pressure. But the recessed head slot in the wheel would provide enough friction to hold it. Thank you kindly for your expertise I have developed a bald spot scratching my head over this. Regards to all. Norm

They could be for a tool post grinder for internal grinding. I have a Dumore spindle that uses similar taper shank arbors. They could also be for a slot grinding attachment for a surface grinder. I have a Brown & Sharpe attachment that uses taper shank arbors. They could also be for a cylindrical grinder internal grinding attachment. I used to have a Pope 35,000 RPM spindle that probably took a taper shank arbor, but I did not have any arbors for it. I have never seen one, but I suppose a jig grinder might also use arbors of this type. I think I also have a couple arbors of this type that do not fit anything I own.

Larry

The pictures reminded me of a couple of steam valve seating tool kits I have. Though I am sure this is probably not what these tools pictured are. I went and looked at the kit for locomotive seats vs industrial valve seats and the concept is very similar. The one kit has a sliding cone that fits snugly on a threaded shaft. This centers the tool into the valve body. Again it is almost positively not the answer to this 6 million dollar question, but the design is very similar. Have to get things done right now, will get some pictures later. Thought it interesting and most here might have an interest in a similar design even if not meant for machine tool use, but a very practical maintenance tool so old valves could be salvaged and put back in service rather than buying new ones and replacing. In a paper mill or other steam application may keep the lines running as well. Maybe I should just start a different thread? Will decide when I get back to this.

Regards, John.

Ok not really in same ball park what so ever. New thread time.

Last edited:

Back