What's new
What's new

Unusual antique machinery mechanism with two iron gears 1860's. What wouldl that be?

Romak

Aluminum
Good evening everybody.

Today I discovered an unusual mechanism that might be made in 1860's-1900's. The mechanism consist of a big gear and a small gear attached on a wooden panel. It seems like the mechanism was repainted recently, since paint in pretty good condition. The gears are cast and you can see that the pattern made of wood was used for casting. I am really puzzled about the purpose of such mechanism and what machinery might used it. The interesting thing is a wooden shaft or a hub attached to a smaller pinion. The shaft has two square holes on each side and the holes are cut like pyramids. They both wider at the bottom and narrower at the top. I am not sure what might be placed in such holes. The bigger gear might have a crank attached to its square hub. The mechanism is 21 inches height and big gear is 13 1/2 inches in diameter. The iron base at the bottom has three smaller holes and one big hole that was probably used to attach the mechanism to a flat surface. Square nuts also suggest that mechanism is from 1800's or early 1900's. Please, let me know what do you think. I also noticed that there is no any numbers on any parts. Usually mass produced machines would have numbers of the parts but in this case everything seems like is unknown.

IMG_1671.jpg
IMG_1674.jpg
IMG_1678.jpg
IMG_1680.jpg
IMG_1677.jpg

Thank you very much!

It is just a simple 'gearing up' mechanism to allpw some low power low torque operation to be completed faster. E.g. rope twisting

Quite what it was used for is impossoble to determine from the part. What we need is context, i.e where it was found /used might give a clue.

Repeated paiting might suggest outside use , yet it does not look whethered ???

Bill

Back