What's new
What's new

unusual Diamond Machine Tool Co Mill: combo vertical turret/horizontal model 36 RU

chemed

Plastic
Greetings all.

I just picked up a Diamond Machine mill that is unlike any of those I have seen in pictures posted here or other internet resources. I thought others might be interested. It is larger and heavier than most and differs from the others I have seen in having a dovetailed overarm that doubles as a support for turret-style vertical head. The model number on the name plate is 36 RU. I would wild-guess its weight at 2500 +/- 250 Here are some pics.

36ru-front-loading.jpg 36ru-right-loading.jpg 36ru-table-loading.jpg 36ru-horzspindle+overarm-frontright.jpg

It also came with a nice cutter selection, but unfortunately no arbor. Other than the missing vertical head motor it seems mostly intact.

cutters-included.jpg

Other differences from the pics Ive seen are the large table with machined grooves in the end, and a separate motor for the table feed. I also guess it has a universal table.

Oddly though, even though the mill seems larger and heavier than other Diamonds in the pics, the motor for the horizontal spindle is only 1 Hp. (spindle speeds 110 to 3600 rpm, cogged belt drive). I have no idea what the vertical head motor was, but the placard on the vertical head shows the same range the same range.

(edit below)
I know there is hardly a superabundance of Diamond mills around, but if anyone has experience/information/speculation about this model or information about the vertical motor, I would appreciate it.

there also appears to be a drive mechanism for the vertical head overarm. Or at least that is what I guess these pulleys are for (lower and upper view)

36ru-verticalhead-xdrive.jpg 36ru-verticlehead-xdrive-top.jpg

The machine has not been used for many years and most handwheels are gummed or frozen. little rust, but it need a good cleaning at the least.

If you compare the location and shape of features of the base casting, like the pockets for the nuts which hold the top slide (or whatever you call that), this is pretty clearly the same base as the Fray. The ram and both vertical and horizontal heads are upgraded, however.

allan

I was interested in this particular mill because it looked sturdy but within my space limitations, and i thought it would be nice to have both horizontal and vertical capability. I have looked at various smaller B&S, K&T, Cincinnati, van Norman, etc, and some of those would have been my preference had i the space, but at least over the last two years the ones that came up that were affordable (substantially less than $1k) and fetchable, were beasts. Appealing but just bigger than I have room or justification for.

The similarities with Fray were eye-opening and very useful information. Thanks Andy and Kitno455 for pointing this out. There is a fair amount of info on the Frays available on VintageMachinery.com including a manual and some sales lit, there are also some patent and of course lathes.co.uk

Andy is correct that the drive that I pointed out in my second post is for power downfeed. There are 3 speeds, 0.0015, 0.003 and 0.006 per rev, according to a tag. Like the Fray's the spindles are nmtb 30 rather the B&S like the other Diamonds. Also the table is 9x36 like the Frey 10RH. Other similarities include the 3 in dials calibrated to 0.001, as seen in the Fray lit. The Diamond differs from the Fray in the lateral table drive, coolant system and speed ranges. The Frey 10RH was 2800 lbs, according to the sales lit, and that is, I think, similar to this one.

Fray was located in Glendale Ca, not very far from Diamond, I guess they may have licensed the Fray design, and maybe used the same foundry or some of the same castings. It is not clear to me when Fray ceased operation, but lathes.co.uk suggests mid 50s, so perhaps Diamond survived a few years longer and worked with James Richards the designer and ceo of Fray. All I know so far of the manufacture date was that it was after 1947 (it has a USAF tag) and before 1959 (when the machine was acquired, used, by the school that I got it from)

If anyone has a recommendation/suggestion for how to deal with the missing overhead motor, I would appreciate hearing it. The original apparently was a dual speed 6-step pulley setup, like the horizontal drive. The horizontal spindle motor is 600/1200 rpm 1 Hp. This head does not seem to be backgeared in the low speed like the Frays. I uses a home-brew rotary phase converter and most of my machines are 3 phase.

thanks

m

Ok I found the pictures. It is exactly what I have. Mine has no vertical head. It has been unbolted at the round "swivel" point. The wiring was still there going to the upper motor but it was obviously disconnected and hanging free. The guy that I got this mill from said it had been in storage in a semi trailer for many years. It is very tight and has no play in the ways. My machine came with two spindles, a 7/8 and a 1". Both have 36RU stamped on them.

Greetings all.

I just picked up a Diamond Machine mill that is unlike any of those I have seen in pictures posted here or other internet resources. I thought others might be interested. It is larger and heavier than most and differs from the others I have seen in having a dovetailed overarm that doubles as a support for turret-style vertical head. The model number on the name plate is 36 RU. I would wild-guess its weight at 2500 +/- 250 Here are some pics.

I know there is hardly a superabundance of Diamond mills around, but if anyone has experience/information/speculation about this model or information about the vertical motor, I would appreciate it.

It's good to see someone else with one of these. I've been using mine for 30 years or such(time flies). Here are a few pictures that may answer some of your questions. IMG_0811.jpgIMG_0812.jpgIMG_0813.jpgIMG_0818.jpg

Cheers,
Russ Whale

I have one of these as well. It is just sitting as a project. missing some quill parts. contact me if any interest. 20140726_152706.jpg20140607_154100.jpg20140507_163206.jpg20140507_163154.jpg20140507_163027.jpg

Thanks , Limy Sami. I found those, but the documents are for different models that the three I found pictured in this thread. I believe it is a later product offering. Hoping to get some contact before starting my project this summer. I am thinking in alternative head retrofit ??

Back