What's new
What's new

Update on #5 Barnes Lathe- Steady Redt

hinz57

Plastic
I picked up a steady rest for my #5. It is missing the clamping bolt and nut. Could someone please post some pix and dimensions of the pieces I will need to fabricate? Thx, hinz57

Most likely making the parts you need IS the easy way. And if you are a machining enthusiast chances are you are looking for an excuse to use your old machines to make parts for your old machines. It doesn't sound logical to a normal person but the rest of us understand the sickness.....

Attached find a photocopy/sketch of the clamp bolt and its nut.

The "ramp" part that bears on the ways and the not shown "top view" is the same width as the 9/16" bolt it transitions into.

Note that the thread is not a US standard. Rather this is Special USS although the head of the thread seems "nicked off." I don't think this is Acme thread form. Nor does the application require maintaining the original thread count OR form.

A 9/16" "coupler nut" may give you a good start - although 9/16" nuts are usually 7/8" across flats in standard pattern. Coupler nuts may be routinely smaller across flats.

Hope this helps,
Joe in NH

Attachments

• Barnes Bolt002.jpg
    Barnes Bolt002.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 60

Back