What's new
What's new

Useful shaper fixture

Way to much bar hanging out. Also you will have almost no chatter if you lock the clapper and cut on the pull stroke. Been cutting keyways in bores that way (including a similar fixture) for 45+ years.

Herb

I tend to lock the clapper and cut on the push stroke mostly for convenience of set up (my personal convenience), some may find the other way easier to visualize, no argument on that.

But like Herb, first thought was "wow, for such a little shaper he sure does have a lot of bar sticking out" The same thought on his what, 3/4" boring bar in that big bore on the lathe? Could have easily stuck a 1-1/2" or 2" bar in that and saved on the lead wedgery.

Good marks for the tilting rig for a non-universal shaper, and he was smart enough to put a foot under the table where the original was missing.

smt

I too thought he had a lot of extra length sticking out on the bar. I know the support was a quick/hurry up but I would have put a "shoe " or foot on the bottom. Maybe he will in the future. Nice shaper too. Anyone know what kind? I was very interested as I just (last summer) got a 12" Vernon and have been learning. I want to use for keyways in the future as needed so this was really interesting to me. I couldn't see part 5 where he finishes it though. Maybe it's coming.

Back