What's new
What's new

Barnes 4 1/2 thrd info ,gear complement

doc

Hot Rolled
Looking for info on factory complement of gears & threading combinations.....just brought in a lightly used Barnes 4 1/2 ( last patent date is 1887) minus most of velocipede gear & am very far down the learning curve on these little foot drive machines....two interesting things are a carriage longitudinal feed dial graduated in .050 for a 1/2 in. & t/stock index graduations ..strange for a 19th cent machine w/ no CROSS feed dial ..suspect aftermarket ..will be mounting a c/shaft & 1/3 hp motor , either on a frame behind or on the wall , & returning it to usefulness. hard to justify w/ 5 tooled up lathes , but need something to do to still keep me moving this winter...
Now , it is geared for an 8 pitch thrd, using a 16 T on spindle driving a 52/40 compound & 88 T idler to the l/screws......planning on cutting remaining gears ,along w/ a set for 15 in prentice ( also 16 pitch ) & hoping some one has info on which gears came from factory & various thrdg combinations ( from a chart maybe ?) .....reckon i can figure from what i have , but wud like to get what barnes considered "correct "# of gears & their threading combination....tnx for your help

Barnes 4-1/2 gears

Hello Doc,

Hope this helps.

Regards, George

ax29x.jpg

100_27672.jpg

I was going to suggest what Stef had. But he beat me to it.

Note that one of the gears (a 20) appears twice on the gear chart. I believe the factory complement was 13 gears (12 show in the pix above.)

And it seems you have the little "spacer" already (Which the compound gears mount on, ties them together with a key and yet they can pivot on the stud) which is the only thing Stef didn't mention.

You should be able to arrange the spacers such that you can do either compound or straight through gearing, of course.

How about the other "thingies" like the pivot cross slide - or does yours have the accessory compound? Also the hyper desirable wood turning tool rest (why I'm not exactly sure since its a simple thing) and the rise/fall adjustable lantern tool holder and steady rest?

You say most of the velocipede is not there? Is ANY thing left?

Joe

George
THANK YOU !!!...THANK YOU !!! .......just what i was needing ....saved a lot of " head scratchin /figgerin "..... think i found the 2 holes on front of left leg where at one time the chart resided...more thrds available w/out compounding than my Reed & some others....feeds of circa 6 1/2 to 10 thou w/ only one compounding is also a real plus....atlas /logan could have paid some attention here...

Joe ....no compound , just the large nut under xslide to angle it ...no stdy or faceplate , just a thick 4 1/2 in plate w/ some holes that cud be used as dog driver....at one time it was an index plate ( 7 rows of holes ..also a narrow pulley grove on it not sure what was going on here )...no tool holder ...i will ,make a stdy along barnes lines & turn up a toolholder for #0 holders & an adjustable thrded riser to support it ..plenty room ..abt 13/4 to C/L...no wood turning rest .... i have an old small one for ? .... need to dig it out .....only remains of drive are a rod hanger on lower inside of t/stock rear leg & outside plate that the nut bears against ....also the long rod directly behind bed that i think was attached to seat ...i may use it in hanging the c/shaft ...............one other thing came w/ it ...a 33 in 5/16 rod w/ couple split clamps ,along it , one factory , maybe both , but carrying a knobed handle abt 4 1/2 in long & a 3/8 brass square abt 13/4 long on one end....see no use for it here ...will go into my metal pile .........dont have the inclination ( or the years left , be 80 next year) to scrounge original parts to bring it back to 1890 .....will restore it to functionality & "play " w/ it ....maybe "name it" ......
tnx to you both for the quick response
best wishes
docn8as

Joe-

This was my Barnes that we joked about trading for your old 14"...

Doc has been very helpful and inspirational to me and we're less than an hour apart, and he's helping me get the Monarch A going, among many other things.

Doc saw my Barnes, and an innocent query of "what are you going to do with that" coupled with my more relevant need for space and some tooling and measuring instruments led to the current situation.

Hopefully, I'll be an interested weekly spectator on the Barnes ressusitation...I'm eager to see what it is actually like to use.

But Joe, I did talk to Kenny yesterday, and he said he's helping get another similar Barnes up to you...

...like you said to me " you always get what you want/deserve if you wait long enough".....

:)

Chris

Yup.

Slowly a 4-1/2 is coming together in my future. Not necessarily cheap, mind you, but a complete machine. Legs showed up on local Craigslist recently and David Wolf in Chicago is sitting on a Barnes Benchtop that has been mentioned to be transported by Kenny.

It will be delivered to my BIL (brother in law) in the short term and he'll keep it until next summer when I can get it from him at Lake George, NY.

Gosh, wot we due for old arn.

But these things ARE out there. And they surface on Craiggie more frequently than not, actually. I think they are more common in the midwest than here in the northeast. But maybe that figures considering their point of origin. Complete machines including the treadle are the problem, however. Mostly they've been "adapted" to our 20th century electric motor lifestyle. One wonders where all the flywheels went to?

Once I get the 4-1/2 up and running to my satisfaction, I'll probably sell the No. 5 which has been my mainstay in the short term. It will be interesting to see the two machines side by side for comparison.

Joe

Back