What's new
What's new

Vintage Wilton Drill Press variable speed pulley seized

chasdi

Plastic
Hi,Vintage Wilton old "newby" here. Just picked up old Wilton floor model drill press with variable speed pulley seized. Have tried WD-40 and"P B Blaster" for a couple days. Can't find model number Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks,Charles Crow Penn Valley,Ca 1-530-615-8160

Hey there, I don't have a solution, but I just got the same press with the exact same issue and have tried the same thing. Did you ever get it worked out? It technically works, but stuck at a break neck speed.

I need to replace the quil bearings--don't have a clue where to start. Any ideas ? Chas

Take it apart as suggested. Dollars to donuts the main reason it isn't working is all the old grease has become glue. Clean it, re-lube it and you're likely good to go.

Dave

Hi Dave, got the drill working good. The quil bearings are bad--vibrates my house and most of the ones down the street. Hope that new bearings will make it smooth out. Thanks,Chas

Chas, congrats on fixing that part.

If you think the bearings are bad chances are that new ones will fix the vibration as well. In the meantime check that some bright bunny hasn't changed the original motor out (e.g. 3450 rpm for 1725 rpm or maybe even lower rpm)or pulley size so that it is trying to spin way above its rated speed. If the bearings seem OK when you take it apart look for a bent spindle. Sometimes there is a second set screw under the grime that has backed off causing a pulley to wobble. The really nice thing about old machinery is that it is usually built like the proverbial brick outhouse and fix easily.

Dave

Wilton drill press

Chas, congrats on fixing that part.

If you think the bearings are bad chances are that new ones will fix the vibration as well. In the meantime check that some bright bunny hasn't changed the original motor out (e.g. 3450 rpm for 1725 rpm or maybe even lower rpm)or pulley size so that it is trying to spin way above its rated speed. If the bearings seem OK when you take it apart look for a bent spindle. Sometimes there is a second set screw under the grime that has backed off causing a pulley to wobble. The really nice thing about old machinery is that it is usually built like the proverbial brick outhouse and fix easily.

Dave
Dave, you hit it on the head ! Has 3450 rpm 3/4 hp motor

Dave, you hit it on the head ! Has 3/4 hp 3450 rpm motor. So I need to find a 1750 rpm motor now. Thank, Chas

Just finished two Logan 10 inch metal lathes. Model 820 and model 825. Both made in 1949. Hope I can get the Wilton Drill Press to run as smooth As both these two old girls. Chas

Back