What's new
What's new

Pantograph

ahall

Stainless
I ran across a smaller 2 dimensional Gorton pantograph.
The owner has passed away in the machine is in a state of partial restoration.
Assuming I can locate all the parts (motor, belts, letter carrier, collets), what is a machine like this worth. Lets assume its in average condition other than the disassambly.

Second, how useful are pantographs – I looks like a cool machine, but I am not sure what it is really good for, especially in a 2D configuration.

Thanks,

Adam

I have seen nice complete Gortons on eBay for around $200. Some dealers ask more, of course. The brass type sets are worth something by themselves, in addition to the base machine value.

They are great for making signs and name plates. Sign businesses mostly use CNC machines now, so the big heavy mechanical pantographs tend to bring very low prices.

Larry

ahall
These small pantographs are a lot of fun to run, you will find different types of ( copy) letters for sale on ebay, the most often used for mold work is Gorton Normal Reverse, a skillfull operator can engrave lettering on irregular surfaces by making what is known as a form guide. These machines have work ratios of from 2 to 1, up to 10 to 1 or more. parts and belts are available on ebay from time to time. Also you may consider posting your needs on machinery wanted in several venues.
Years ago I made various toy molds & dies, and molds for the automotive model signs ( Dodge 330, Dodge 440, etc.), using small pantographs. For the most part CNC has made the pantographs less in demand.
Special stamps to stamp part numbers on manufactured parts can be made on these machines.
I hope that you get this machine running and learn it's abillities and have fun with it. Good luck, with your new adventure.

Jeff

A very nice 740 pound floor model industrial pantograph sold on eBay for $295 today. Like I said, CNC has killed the market for manual pantographs among industrial sign makers and engravers. Guys with hobby shops won't pay much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Newell-Hall-Engraver-Model-K-MKII-Series-Pantograph_W0QQitemZ120419658772QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c09922c14&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A3%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A100

Larry

One other thing that smaller 2D pantographs are useful for is making up patterns for small cast parts; things like belt buckles, emblems or cast nameplates. You'd lay out and hand carve a master pattern in wood that's 4-10 times the final size. You then use the pantograph to reduce it down to a final size pattern in plexiglas or aluminum. That pattern can then be used to make silicone molds, from which you can cast replicas in urethane. A group of those urethane replicas can then be fastened down to a pattern board, fitted with sprues and runners, and be sent off to the foundry.

The reducing capability is what's useful. Hand carved lettering and shapes will actually look quite nice when reduced down 10:1. I have a large old New Hermes 2D pantograph engraver that's similar in size to the Gorton. I use it primarily for making up custom small-batch nameplates with stylized logos and lettering. I make up the oversized masters by hand routing in maple boards, and the final parts are engraved brass or aluminum. I don't have any of the stock letter templates, and haven't had enough need to spend the money for any. I've made up my own in maple that have worked well.

If its a Gorton 3U pantograph the accessories are what are pricey , Ie the brass letter templates in the wood tray bring 50 to 200 dollars on ebay, the spindle bring 300-500 dollars, and the belts are 40-50 dollars. If the machine is all there and in operating shape you can have a lot of fun with it but it is slow compared to CNC. I have seen several restored with 3-4 boxes of templates sell for 1000 to 1400 dollars. the accessories are where the money is and are hard to find. They are a well made machine with plenty of life left in them. If you google Gorton, a relative has a great source of info on the different machines.

In todays world speed is the guiding force, for one offs the Gortons do an amazing job, and is very adaptive!
William

Attachments

• Done01232.jpg
    Done01232.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,623
  • bc4a_1.jpg
    bc4a_1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 429
  • CursiveFont01612.jpg
    CursiveFont01612.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 413
  • page02_large.jpg
    page02_large.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 673
  • 2536_1.jpg
    2536_1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 463
William,

Very nice work.

I'm looking at a nice operational 3U...are there any videos of one of these machines at work on the web, readily available? I'd like to see one in action if possible

Thanks

I use an old Friedrich Deckel G1 pantograph engraving machine as a mill to shape keys for the instruments I make. A typical set of keys includes thirteen different sizes which because of their positions on the instrument need to be graduated in size. I used to do all of that shaping and sizing by hand and eye, but the pantograph has made it possible to build both the shapes and sizes into the patterns, as well as better symmetry than I'd been able to achieve in the much smaller keys.

The machine as I acquired it had not been used in many years, and was in need of a good cleaning and proper setup, but no major restoration was necessary. I reckon at least two previous owners had it but did not know how to set it up, so it had had very little use and wear. The machine was built well to begin with, and was designed to be serviceable. I am sure I have not even scratched the surface of what it will do, but it has earned its keep and then some performing this one kind of job for me.

Attachments

• 13Patternandresult.jpg
    13Patternandresult.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 659
  • 08Patternholderandstylus.jpg
    08Patternholderandstylus.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 2,675
  • clip2.jpg
    clip2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 2,843
  • Reidesque04.jpg
    Reidesque04.jpg