What's new
What's new

Angels & Demons and Oilers, 1884

rivett608

Diamond
I was just looking through an old catalog of mine that had been on a very long term loan...... it is a 1884 Manning, Maxwell & Moore Machinery and Supplies..... large folio size... 660 pages..... simply fantastic, I bought it in the early 80's and paid hundreds for it then!!!!!....... A lot of the machinery cuts from Ken Cope's books came from it........ here is a few that never made the books that I think are kind of fun....

Angels and Demons!!!!

DSCN0759.jpg

These look like the nicest oil can sets I have ever seen.... check out the details! Also I understand to find a complete set like these is SUPER RARE...... I have never seen one!

DSCN0755.jpg

And this I thought was cool...... centrifugal force oiler?

DSCN0756.jpg

The twelve demons are working on their arrowheaded tails and far outnumber the one 'angel,' who is a 'Cupid,' working on his love arrows. Perhaps this expresses a thought about the parlous state of conjugal relations in the 1880's.

angels &demons

In the illustrations, the grinder would not require to be driven by an overhead belt on this occasion, The little angel would have it whizzing round by divine intervention, If the old engineers up until 1970, (when one firm in the U.K. gave up making cone drive drilling machines) had been able to manage some advanced " magic" on powering their machine tools we would not have had o/head belt driven machines, Wouldnt have been as interesting for us nowadays HMmmmmmmmm ?
OOPS i forgot Michael Faraday & Nicolai Tesla, Gave us the electric motor, More "magic" !

What lovely oil cans Nice enough to use at a garden party, Another cup of tea vicar?

I find the oil can trays amusing....... Those old rolled-seam oil cans ALL leak like sieves, and the tray would be a practical way to avoid pools of oil on whatever surface they were set on.

I have to point out that there is no angel depicted in the grinding ad.

The winged boy with the arrows is the Roman god Cupid or the Greek Eros. You see him a lot around Valentine's Day. I love the story about him dropping an arrow on his own foot and catching a bad case of love.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupid

I have the 1901 edition of the Manning, Maxwell & Moore machine tool catalog. It is a huge book full of pictures of machines that you will never see in real life. I am sure every example of most of the machines in the book have been scrapped by now. There are some really wild specialized machines for things like railroad locomotives and car wheels. The "portable" electric motor driven tools are just beginning to appear. They were rather large. Unfortunately, the book has limited value for research because the makers' names have been removed from every illustration. Of course, we can recognize the Rivett, Sloan & Chace and Cataract bench lathes and other common machines that are fairly well known.

Larry

Rivett, Great Pick!

I have this book also. Amazing work in an understatement. I was going to scan a few pages, then started re-reading and now I cannot even begin to narrow down the images for a top 3 picks. Shapers, planers, crank planers, RR equipment. My favorite putnam lathes. All machines have names removed. Steam engine, pumps and fire engines. Maybe this 4 wheel bicycle that runs on the rails, under rail road supplies.

Here are three.

The grinder is one I own. Made in Conn, I forget the maker. I believe the crank planer is Blaisdell. I have one fo these too. A few minor details differ, I assume size/model variations. Both these machines are surplus to my current plans. :)

And third is just one of my top picks.

Attachments

• Grinder.jpg
    Grinder.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 207
  • CrankPlaner.JPG
    CrankPlaner.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 222
  • RailRoad_Cycle.jpg
    RailRoad_Cycle.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 445
Manning Maxwell &Moore In the yard of a fairly large museum, near where i live, is a nice old lathe by Manning Maxwell & Moore sitting out in the elements, as an example of "Metal sculpture" Once again the example of the mindset of highly paid consultants, Bless them! Sadly about 20 years ago an old brassfinisher was earning his livelihood with this machine tool, and even more annoying, in my spare time i moved this old machine for this lot Sign of the times?

Manning, Maxwell & Moore had nice little brass name plates that they put on the machines they sold. But the machines themselves were made by many different actual machine builders. The 1901 catalog never gives the actual maker names and the names have been removed from all the machine pictures. I think the actual machines would still have been sold with the maker's name cast in the base or on a separate plate.

Here is a picture of a cast brass dealer plate from my plate collection. In 1901, the head office was in New York and they had branches in Chicago, Cleveland and Pittsburgh. There was no mention of overseas shipping or dealers. The 1901 catalog I have is for machinery and accessories. They said their business had expanded, so they split the catalog in two, with the other volume containing supplies.

Larry

ManningMaxwellMooreplate.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Larry,
Yes the old lathe i was refering to was a Reid Should i wish further dissolusioning, i will at some stage go over and look at her, She had a nice little Manning Maxwell &Moore brass plate arrached to the headstock, From memory i believe they were in Chicago, I would guess that M.M&M would make up a cargo of various machine tools, and ship them to the U.K. I do not recall ever coming across a British division of them, Perhaps they may have passed them on to some British distributer with whom they may have had an agreement with, To distribute the machines they factored, Perhaps Buck &Hickman?
I have came across machine tools before with the Manning Maxwell &Moore plate attached in Britain.

My copy was borrowed by Ken Cope and one thing he did was to leave little post-it notes on the various machines as to who made them.......... I'll just cut off the glue portion and leave them there.

One thing I like are the pages of the horse drawn fire pumpers....... anyway you look at this it is just a fantastic catalog.......

Great old pics Bill... this thread got me to looking thru a few of my old dusty catalogs. Of course the first one I reached for was the M&E

Here's a fun cut from an old Merchant and Evan's 1905 catalog...some Gremlins? hard at work testing those nails...there's some great shots of sheet metal shops and tinning houses too...great old cat. They sure don't make em like they used to.

mande1.jpg

I just had a talk with a friend who urged me to use those "new" cement coated nails for construction. I should show him this.

How about that loose pulley oiler? Nicely built but seems to be overkill for such a simple thing. It looks like centrifugal force would end up having everything in the shop "well oiled".

Considering the first pic with the demon and cupid - anybody else catch on that the grinder wouldn't work as pictured? Sparks are being thrown away from both individuals at the same time - It's not going to happen with both wheels mounted on the same spindle...

nails,--- The detail in this humorous little advert is worth looking at, One of the little gremlins, has a large patch on the seat of his pants, This advert in many ways, reminds me of the old British Bakers soldering fluid ads where one, sees, two plumbers standing talking, (Gremlin types again) they have more rags, tatters &tears, than clothes, Another one i have by me somewhere, is the little Fluxite soldering paste primer, with the fluxite quinns , angelic little beings, wielding a soldering iron about 6 times bigger than themselves!
Sparks going the wrong way ? Artists licence

could the use of "the little people" in advertising, be influenced by James Naismiths painting the fairies? considering his hearth in the house, The scene of all his fairy gathering, was where he sat at night, and occasionally used this fireplace, to occasionally melt, small crucibles of brass, for his models.

Back