What's new
What's new

What is it?

tpierce

Plastic
When I bought my SB 9A, it came with a large quantity of tooling, chucks etc.
Also included was this complete punch set. I think it may be something a clockmaker would use, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know what this is? I'm considering selling it, as I have no use for it.
HPIM1161.jpg

HPIM1156.jpg

HPIM1157.jpg

HPIM1159.jpg

It is a watchmakers "Staking Set". Yours appears complete, including the anvil. But, I haven't looked sharply at the pictures.

Google and eBay should have plenty of information and sales for them available to read.

:cheers:

Last edited:
They just had an episode on Pawn Stars, a TV show about a pawn shop here in Vegas.
The guy got all drooly because it was complete.

I can't place that GF maker logo, but it is not one of the commonly found staking tool brands. With the demise of most watch repairmen who can actually use these tools, the prices have lowered in the last couple of decades. A really great K&D Inverto set can still bring $100 or more, but lesser sets might sell for $30 or so.

Larry

Is that "GF", or "GP", as in Goodell Pratt ?

GF is a known maker of staking tools, in that there are other references to it on the Net. But I have never owned one and do not know the full name of the maker, or where they were made. If German, the G could stand for "Brothers." If French/Swiss, the F could stand for "Brothers." Otherwise, I have no idea.

K&D (Kendrick & Davis) of Lebanon, NH is the most common of the USA brands, and famous for high quality. They were still in business in 1963, when I ordered some tools from the factory.

Larry

Hey, I'm having fun! I just found one on eBay that seems to have some association with "Watch Craft" based on the user pamphlet. Take a look:

< Deluxe GF 125pcs Watchmakers Staking #-12Ju-125PCS - eBay (item 180504356385 end time Jun-05-10 22:45:01 PDT) >

Can any one make out the patent number just below the "Watch Craft" title in picture 14? The patent might give a clue to the actual maker??

Uncle Larry's Watch Shop has a GF set for sale at $139 complete. He says it is "US made".

GF must have been a decent maker since one description says:

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Vintage GF staking set with inverto capabilities - means punches can be reversed and used as stumps. Good condition with 98 punches (that can be reversed) and 22 stumps including two for removing roller tables. This set is compatible with K&D as the punches interchange with K&D."[/FONT]

Still, no one I have found referencing this tool has a clue who "GF" is!! :crazy:

:cheers:

The GF set on eBay has literature showing a K&D Inverto set with a high (last, just before discontinued, probably) price and a C&E Marshall Watch-Craft or Moseley brand set. The Marshall sets are more rare than the K&D sets, and have a unique swinging arm to hold the punch. The Marshall patent would not be pertinent to the GF tool. Levin is another high quality USA maker, and their staking sets are very rare.

I could see no GF literature in the auction.

Larry

I never would have thought that an Italian fashion designer, working after the heyday of mechanical watches. would have been in the tool business. In fact, I still don't believe it.

Larry

I know this is an old thread but I find it useful as I just came across another mostly complete set recently. Has anyone been able to find out more about GF?

Back