What's new
What's new

What the Heck are these things?

spitfire_er

Aluminum
I got these a while back and I have no idea what they are actually for. They all have T slot nuts on them. The two look like stops, and the other looks like a scribe of some sort.

Anyone know what they are. I don't need them and was going to sell them, but I need to know what they are first.

2015-01-27 2015-01-27 001 001.jpg

Those are rusty pieces of metal

Two of them might be used as table stops, and the one with your finger near could be used as a "finger" it's self.

Good luck with your sale, someone "needs" them. ;-)

They're lathe carriage stops.

They mount on the front side of the bed, at whatever point you want the carriage to stop.

The one with the micrometer head is adjustable for more precise positioning.

- Leigh

They're lathe carriage stops.

They mount on the front side of the bed, at whatever point you want the carriage to stop.

The one with the micrometer head is adjustable for more precise positioning.

- Leigh

A grinder perhaps, but never a lathe, (unless some clock maker's device), and look carefully at that "micrometer head", it is retained in it's cradle with nothing more than a "finger".

A grinder perhaps, but never a lathe, (unless some clock maker's device), and look carefully at that "micrometer head", it is retained in it's cradle with nothing more than a "finger".
Those points have nothing to do with the purpose of the devices.

They could have been designed to operate switches that disabled an automatic traverse.

You're __assuming__ that some robust physical stop is required, but with no information to support that.

I mentioned a lathe application because my Monarch 10EE has virtually identical devices, factory original.
Mine are somewhat more robust, but not a whole lot.

- Leigh

They could have been designed to operate switches that disabled an automatic traverse.

You're __assuming__ that some robust physical stop is required, but with no information to support that.

I mentioned a lathe application because my Monarch 10EE has virtually identical devices, factory original.

- Leigh

Please educate us regarding your interpretation of the purpose for the conical, half flat shaft (resting on the finger) incorporated in "lathe carriage stops".

As is customary on PM, pictures ("virtually identical devices, factory original") or it didn't happen.

While they are probably table stops, they strike me more as belonging to a hydraulic machine, such as a grinder. The two appear to be mirror images, such as a right and left hand stop. I have never seen a lathe stop on the right side of the carriage.

I'll try and grab a few more pictures tomorrow. The "finger" or Scribe, whatever it is, isn't adjustable, it just has a knurled end. It is a point ground in half. I got them with my Rusnok Mill, but i didn't think they belonged to it. Not sure they were even worth anything, but if I could get a few bucks, I can put it towards my SB 10L lathe resto.

The thing on the left looks like it is holding an engraving cutter, which would make it part of a cutter grinder. The two stops are not Hardinge, but could work on a Hardinge horizontal mill or similar mill with a T-slot on the front of the table.

Larry

As is customary on PM, pictures ("virtually identical devices, factory original") or it didn't happen.
Monarch%20Carriage%20Stops_Sheet%20117_75p.png

The two appear to be mirror images, such as a right and left hand stop.
I have never seen a lathe stop on the right side of the carriage.
In the above image upper-right corner, please note the micrometer mounts.
Both right and left versions are show, suggesting a right-hand stop was used.

Monarch also made simple rod-style stops with bed clamps, not shown above.

- Leigh

Likely T&CG table stops. (Heads are the 'bumpers'.)

I see a mere knurl on the finger and cheesey clip as to rotate the flat tip parallel to a flute's lead angle. It's not that robust but would be less precise (repeatably) if adjustable, considering the angle of contact in use.

'Spares' to someone. IMO would cost more to ship than worth to most. (Keep/mod/use?)

(I type slow ... :typing: ...)

Agree with the T& C grinder set up tooling. The finger thing could either be shop made (the finger itself) as a cutter lip rest. It could also be a center height gage for setting the wheelhead height and the "drop" of the lip on the tool. (to get the back relief angles)

I have never seen a lathe stop on the right side of the carriage.

SB stops, at least one version, can be used on either side. I sometimes use 2 stops on certain jobs, one on the left and one on the right.

smt

While they are probably table stops, they strike me more as belonging to a hydraulic machine, such as a grinder. The two appear to be mirror images, such as a right and left hand stop. I have never seen a lathe stop on the right side of the carriage.

Good observation re a R&L pair. Milling machine application hasn't been mentioned. Some machines like the small Rockwell mills have a T-slot on the front, vertical, surface of the table, and what rides in this slot is a L&R pair of stops for y-axis traverse. Better photographs might clarify the role of the square-head screw. It looks as though it might pinch-clamp the shaft of the finger, allowing the finger to swivel and to vary in stickout length.
-Marty-

- Leigh

Please God, don't let thermite weigh in on this. :D

Back