What's new
What's new

What is this old lathe? (Pics attached)

Hello,

I've been shopping around online for an old lathe that I could refurbish and I stumbled on this. I have no idea what this machine is, and I'm still waiting on a reply from the owner. He's asking 650 for it, but I have yet to put hands on the machine.

pic 1.jpg pic 2.jpg pic 3.jpg

pic 4.jpg pic 5.jpg

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question.

how difficult do you think it is to find change gears for this model if it doesn't? Also, do you have any opinion on Logan vs South Bend?

First the chuck T handle wrench is in the chuck, so the owner is a dummy. You should look closely, being they are a dummy, what else did they do to the lathe? Use it for welding? Hammer marks?

Offer them a $100 and tell them it is an antique in need of way too much money to make it serviceable. You will remove it from its location without damaging the property. Save them from paying a junk dealer.

Haha, well I think I'll get a feel for the owner and the machine before I cut his offer by 65% XD But thank you for the pointers, I just assumed he put the chuck key in for the photo. I'll be on the look out for other foolery on the machine.

how difficult do you think it is to find change gears for this model if it doesn't? Also, do you have any opinion on Logan vs South Bend?

FYI new gears (and many other parts) are available - plenty gelt though Change and Reverse Gears

As doe Logan or S/B ......having had both I would say there's not much in it, but I preferred the SB , and my current SB clone (Boxford) has served me very well.

Change gear sets (there should be 18 gears, some duplicates) come up from time to time on ebay.They run about $200.00 or more. They are also available individually on ebay for about $35-45 apiece.New gears are available from Logan Actuator -Logan Actuator Co. - Lathe Department, the company that built the lathes, which is still in business.They will have copies of the manual,and parts lists as well.
There are also two Logan lathe groups on Yahoo: lathe-list, moderated by Scott Logan, grandson of the founder of Logan- Yahoo! Groups, and loganlathe-Yahoo! Groups. Both groups have good information on Logan lathes.Some members may have parts for sale as well.
I have no opinion on your second question. I have a Logan 200, but I've never owned (or operated) a South Bend.
Hope this helps.
Rick

Your 10" Logan was also sold by Montgomery Ward. Only possible advantage I can see compared to a base model SB is the Logan's ball bearing spindle.

Your cross-feed hand wheel doesn't look original nor does the countershaft/motor arrangement. Could be wrong but they look more like a product of the A*L*S Press Company.

That machine IS a Wards sold unit.

The countershaft setup tells that. Same with the H/S, which has a switch at bottom right.

It's original, for what that is worth.

So is the crossfeed handle, which is just like mine.

Logan is as nice as an SB, maybe a little nicer. Usually sells for less than the "name brand" SB. Built a little heavier than most SB 9" machines, bed is wider than SB, and a little deeper. I have a Logan that is an early 1942 war baby... made of whatever they had on hand right after Pearl Harbor... Wards type H/S, Logan bed, etc. Works fine.

That one is missing the headstock cover, and the unit may be made up of parts from more than one, due to what looks like different paint colors for T/S and carriage, etc. Needs a real toolpost.

Last edited:

Back