What's new
What's new

What sort of Reed lathe is this?

JST

Diamond
From Cairo Ill? one pic shows a nameplate apparently showing "J B Reed".

Don't know them, and the UK site does not seem even to show the F E Reed machines

Horrible pictures, the machine could be almost anything from them.

Metal lathe 7-8ft

Looking on Google, there are few references, and one of the only relevant ones is right here.......

Someone posted a question about theirs here at PM, and got only crickets....... no replies at all

Its pretty much impossible to tell who made it from those pictures. FE Reed and Reed & Prentice were in Worcester, Massachusetts so that tag is almost certainly from the machinery dealer and the name is a coincidence. Its not that we wouldn't like to help, but there isn't enough to work with here.

I recently sold some tool holders, and miscellaneous bits and pieces of tooling, to a guy from Northern Maryland, who was restoring a small ( 6" to 8" ) "Reed" lathe.

He had several pretty good pictures, and it looked like a high-quality little machine.

He wanted to "pick my brain" for information on the manufacturer, ... but I'd really never ( knowingly ) seen one before, and couldn't tell him anything about it.

Basically, it pretty closely resembled a 6" Atlas, ... but was obviously of much higher quality.

If you felt like you had use for a little "Bench Lathe" or "Polishing Lathe" it seemed like a decent little unit.

So, based on that sketchy, but positive information, and depending on my intended use, I'd be inclined to take a closer look at another "Reed" machine.

If you're willing to accept, ( or even embrace ) the limitations of an old, "cone head" lathe, then the fact that it's a somewhat unusual machine, might not deter you from taking on the project.

Whatever you decide, ... Good Luck.

Its pretty much impossible to tell who made it from those pictures. FE Reed and Reed & Prentice were in Worcester, Massachusetts so that tag is almost certainly from the machinery dealer and the name is a coincidence.

The threading chart says J.B. Reed "MAKER" Cairo Ill.
Listed in 1883 as a maker of lathes.
I have heard of this maker before.

Rob

JB Reed is mentioned in American Machinist, 1883, vol 6, page 16:
"For immediate delivery, 10", 18", 25" and 26" swing engine lathes from new patterns, combining all the best Improvements, at exceedingly low prices. For cuts and prices, address JB Reed, Cairo, Ill."
American machinist - Google Books

JB Reed formed his business in 1862 and here is mention of it in 1912:
Iron age - Google Books

And there's a letter on eBay:
1889 Cairo Iron & Machinery Letter Cairo IL - JB Reed | eBay

These are just a few of several hits on the name. I didn't see an ad or any pictures of their lathes, though.

Irby

Nice search Irby. I only had a few minutes at work to search.

The ebay seller shows an article that gives some nice history of Reed.
From 1905(same as what the ebay seller posted).

http://books.google.com/books?id=HN...6#v=onepage&q=Cairo foundry & machine&f=false

In the AM of 1883, Sept. 29th page 9(bottom of 4th column) tells of all the lathes he is selling and how he is adding more machines to increase output.
The AM of 1883, May 5th page 9(2nd column under "Manufactures") tells of Reed again adding new machines for more output.

AM of 1883, Sept. 29th page 3 shows a Garvin cutter grinder(this is for Irby).

Someone should save this lathe.

Rob

These are just a few of several hits on the name.

Irby

Naturally I googled it first......

Well, I didn't get anywhere NEAR that many hits... just a few, and the "best" of them was a reference right back here, a guy with one wanting any info..... with no replies.....

if JB reed lasted from 1862 to 1912, you'd think there would be a "population" of J B Reed machines. Apparently he didn't sell very many, presumably the business did other general work mostly and lathes were a side issue with them, as suggested by the text on the letterhead of the ebay document.

I saw that listed and wondered at the name as well. I could possibly go look at it next weekend but you are probably almost as close as I am.

Rick

regarding your post Ihave a 26" line belt lathe that is 144" between centers made by J B Reed cairo ill. the lathe has a dividing head keyed to the spindle the former owner had it all his life,and held pattons that he built on this lathe. He built the first wire tie for hay baleing,which he put onhis IH baler. the lathe has a steady rest, a follow rest,a home built ID grinder a full set of change gears,and 24" 4 jaw chuck. They are quite unique could be ordered with a full set of attachments.

regarding your post Ihave a 26" line belt lathe that is 144" between centers made by J B Reed cairo ill. the lathe has a dividing head keyed to the spindle the former owner had it all his life,and held pattons that he built on this lathe. He built the first wire tie for hay baleing,which he put onhis IH baler. the lathe has a steady rest, a follow rest,a home built ID grinder a full set of change gears,and 24" 4 jaw chuck. They are quite unique could be ordered with a full set of attachments.

do you mean the following or am I off track?
http://www.lathes.co.uk/ellis&reeds/

https://www.bing.com/images/search?

view=detailV2&ccid=F4byaQSp&id=046F29A040B9DCC18612D07D4258BF8DD8D26797&thid=OIP.F4byaQSpUFxSASEpZX8btwEsDh&q=J+B+Reed++lathe+&simid=608021904574909207&selectedIndex=15&ajaxhist=0
J B Reed lathe - Bing images
J B Reed lathe - Bing images

I have a J B Reed lathe.....got it at an auction probably twenty seven or eight years ago. I saw a twin to it sell in Herrin IL about 12 years ago.
Look to be late 1800's vintage. Not under power. It is about 12 feet long overall.
I had heard or read that Reed build iron clads during the Civil War............no doubt post Monitor/Merrimac vintage.

Back