What's new
What's new

What's the thinking behind shaper vice adjustment

marka12161

Stainless
I took the massive (to me) 13 inch vise off of the 16 inch Cincinnati universal shaper. It appears that in order to adjust the vise position about its swivel axis, you need to loosen 6 large cap screws from underneath the vise. This is unlike the milling vise which can be adjusted from above.

What's the thinking behind this configuration or am i missing something embarrasingly obvious?

Mark

Think about it some more. The six cap screws are just holding a piece on. The vise easily swivels if you simply loosen the (usually four) fasteners attaching it to the shaper. When you tighten the attaching fasteners back down, the bolt on piece with the six cap screws is having the pinch of its life so the vise isn't going to move on you

All part of very clever designers using up the least "daylight" possible

I took the massive (to me) 13 inch vise off of the 16 inch Cincinnati universal shaper. It appears that in order to adjust the vise position about its swivel axis, you need to loosen 6 large cap screws from underneath the vise. This is unlike the milling vise which can be adjusted from above.

What's the thinking behind this configuration or am i missing something embarrasingly obvious?

Mark

Thanks John, makes sense now. The vise is off the machine now and does not allow any rotation. Must be the previous owner just tightened from the bottom. Now that I think about it, he had the vise well shimmed which would preclude the squeeze of its life. And require him to tighten from below. I'll set it all right .

Thanks.

A little illustration with actual parts. If I lift off the moving jaw and its "back stop", I'll have the base with four holes.

If it was on the shaper bolted down thru those four holes the vise itself could be swiveled by first loosening those four bolts

These are GEMCO parts, once owned by Gbent and now in Steve Watkin's shop:D

Attachments

• Glens Vice Parts.jpg
    Glens Vice Parts.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 95

Back