What's new
What's new

Where can I get replacement vise jaws for a Columbian 603 1/2?

CarlBoyd

Hot Rolled
These are the pin in style, I just spent 30 minutes on google, there were several interesting possibilities but all ended in dead ends. Any one have a source?

This is a bench vise.

CarlBoyd

Last edited:
McMaster sells them for your vise, 162$
Joe

Thank you Joe. I should have known to look at McMaster. McMaster lists jaws for 603-1/2-M3, but at least from the pictures they do not look like they would fit. My vise needs the "T" style mount jaws like are shown under the Milwaukee replacements at the bottom of the page.

McMaster-Carr

CarlBoyd

I like smooth jaws because they don't marr the work piece. If I need to get rough I have another vise or pipe vise that have teeth.

This Forum is a tremendous resource!

Lisspence / m98custom1212

What a tremendous resource this forum is !!!

I've passed up several bench vises offered at very low prices due to missing jaws or collars. In particular, I remember looking at a nice Parker at a Flea. When I first saw it, it was OK but the price was too high. On the way out, I stopped to look at it again - someone had dropped it on its nose and broken the collar! The price was now much lower, but still not low enough to compensate for the time needed to make a new collar!

The "teeth" on vise jaws can be freshened up with a hand-held triangular or knife-edged file. Though I've never tried it, they can probably be deepened with a hand-held graver as well.

John Ruth

Lisspence / m98custom1212

What a tremendous resource this forum is !!!

I've passed up several bench vises offered at very low prices due to missing jaws or collars. In particular, I remember looking at a nice Parker at a Flea. When I first saw it, it was OK but the price was too high. On the way out, I stopped to look at it again - someone had dropped it on its nose and broken the collar! The price was now much lower, but still not low enough to compensate for the time needed to make a new collar!

The "teeth" on vise jaws can be freshened up with a hand-held triangular or knife-edged file. Though I've never tried it, they can probably be deepened with a hand-held graver as well.

John Ruth

John

I believe the teeth on my vise jaws are well past any freshening up.

CarlBoyd

I just bought a Columbian 604 1/2. The jaw faces don't look that bad, but they do clamp on the right side. Right handers tend to use the left side of a vise and wear it there. I would rather have flat jaw faces with no pattern than uneven ones with a pattern, so my plan is to remove the jaw faces and grind them flat. The faces are held in with tapered pins which must be driven out from underneath. After grinding, just put them back and put the tapered pins back in. Easy. I also think I will buy copper jaw caps for this vise. We had them at work and used them for almost everything.

Don't know if You are still interested in Columbian 603 1/2 vise jaws but there are two sets available on ebay today 9/11/2020. Search ebay item number 223958850764 or search Columbian vise jaws. These are the Tee style, 3 1/2 inch wide jaws with taper pins. They are new parts. Hope this helps

Hope You still had a need for the jaws. My Dad had a 503 Columbian vise when I was born 73 years ago and I have had it all My life. I'm very fond of Columbian vises and Have too many now according to My Wife. Just passed up a 608 M3 in pristine shape because She said NO !!! I listened because She's worth it.
Joe

Back