What's new
What's new

WTT: Hardinge/Elgin Cataract - Southern Ontario - (Or other plain turning lathe)

DanMorrison

Plastic
WTB: Hardinge/Elgin Cataract - Southern Ontario - (Or other plain turning lathe)

I currently have a Logan 821 in my shop that I'm very happy with... but I tend to do a lot of small work, stuff that is a bit awkward on the Logan. I'm never far from the chuck end of the lathe.

Here are some photos of the Logan after my restoration,

http://i.imgur.com/DbRVukf.jpg

Some of the work that I do,

D.M. Pipes

I want a lathe that is a bit smaller and faster. I'd love a decent collet setup for repeat parts. A turret, a lever tailstock... etc.

Currently I do a lot of repeat work of tiny parts.. but only in batches of 10 or so at a time.. and with some variability.. and hand finishing.. so not really something I'd want to do with CNC.

I also love the 'feel' and look of the old machines... as you all will understand. I have the affliction.

Over the years, the cataract-era plain turning lathes have really appealed to me.

So I am reaching out to those of you in Ontario, looking for a good condition, ready to work, lathe. Would be ideal to trade the Logan + chucks + tooling, but not necessary.

Requirements: 5C collet capacity, high RPM spindle speeds (ball bearing spindle), compound/tailstock in good working condition.

Bonus: Original Wood benches, 4 jaw independent, turret..

Also interested in any other similar plain turning lathe brands of the era.

Or maybe someone out there has suggestions about what could suit my needs better!

Thanks!

Back