What's new
What's new

Please Help Identify, South Bend??

Billw6st

Plastic
Hope you can help me, looks very much like a SB 9a I grew up using(Dads). Measures 4.75 center of jaws to bedrail which has a "Made in Germany"
label on it. All other items appear to be SB. The age could be mid to late 1920's. Apprieciate any comments. ThanksQCGB.jpgBedrail.jpgFullpic.jpgGearcover.jpgApron.jpg

Definitely a South Bend clone. The imperial measurements IMO would indicate that it was made to sell in America. The design looks like early SB, but with is clean as it is and the German origin has me thinking post WW2 Germany (1950's to 1960's) as that was the place to have cheap mechanical goods made at the time (before japan, then china became the place for such).

I think the "Utility" name on the right leg could be the brand, but might just be a model of sorts.

Wouldn't Post WWII should be labeled "West Germany"?

True! It seems odd that they would make such a close copy of an American style tool room lathe to export to American prior to the war. After the war when they were getting their country back up and running, I could see.

Thanks for the help, many of the tools(tail stock, compound, rest, have SB part nos. in the castings). Its been a fun project refurbishing it. Wish I still
had pops SB9A. The made in Germany tag was riveted behind the leadscrew.

Back